Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir 2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Hello guys.

Just bought my new Macbook (3 weeks ago) with OS Lion and loving this machine. New to the Mac scene although learning loads. All was going well until yesterday when I switched on my Macbook. All my user settings have dissapeared! Wallpaper, doc reset as well as my programmes (when opening itunes it opened the fresh itunes installation with terms and condition), favourites etc.. all wiped out!! I've checked all my documents and luckily they are all there..few!!

Doing a search online I found it could be something to do with renaming user folder (which I haven't done). How many Library folders should there be? I have 3 is this correct? This is what I have under Mac HD:

Library/ - Oddly this is where all my settings are?? i.e. I created 3 display profiles (I have the LG display but thats another thread hehe) and they are in this directory.

Systems/Library/

User/"user_name"/Library - I have checked this as I believe this is the current user settings and I cannot locate any of my old settings. They are all in the root folder above. The "user name" is correct.

Great I thought. I'll just switch the above directories around and that should fix it but it wont let me saying OS is using this Library. Any ideas how to do this or any other suggestions as I'm stuck. I don't a time machine back up - was waiting for the ML upgrade.. I'm new so please give as detailed description as possible. Thanks.

Great Forum!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Those three Library folders are what you are supposed to have. User specific settings go in the Library under you user folder. System wide settings go in /Library.

You wnat them to be where they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.