New MacBook Air or rMacBookPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MajkJaro, Jun 18, 2013.

1. MajkJaro, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

MajkJaro macrumors member

I was waiting to see whether rMBP will get the haswell but it didnt happen. So now I want to buy a computer - Air or Retina - both 13 inch.

I would like to use it for:
    - reading
    - writing
    - movies
    - carrying it around
    - photography (my hobby)

I would give my Air an i7 (is it worth?), 256 ssd. It would cost me about 150$ less than the rMBP early 2013 - prices from Poland ;).
    Is the retina screen worht the price or should I look mainly for the better battery life on the new Air?

I was also thinking to forget the i7 and stick with the i5 and add iPad Mini to the collection but mainly I want a new laptop. Is rMBP more powerful?

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Must you buy your new computer right now? The rMBP will get Haswell eventually.

3. MajkJaro thread starter macrumors member

But continually waiting for new updates is hard ;) i wanted to buy in april but ppl said that haswell will be in rmbp at wwdc which didnt happen :).

So I want to decide now and I need your help :)

4. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

Air, in your usage there isn't much need for the extra RAM or GPU (unless photography for print and you want retina for the display-sake)

5. uniforms macrumors regular

I left my rMBP at home while on a business trip. So I bought the new air to use to see if I like it as much. I can't wait to take this puppy back! I LOVE MY RETINA! There is nothing like that display. Especially if you have to sit behind the screen a lot. The battery length is great. There is the only trade off with the rMBP. I can't wait till the new rMBP comes out!

Best of luck with your decision. The wait may be worth it.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm kind of in the same boat, though I'm not in any rush. My existing MacBook Pro is a 2007 model (Santa Rosa) and although it continues to chug away as my daily use machine, I am feeling the upgrade itch.

Right now if I were to buy, I'd get the new 13" MBA with 8/256. Probably the i5, I'm debating whether I need Core i7. However, bumping up the RAM and SSD brings the MBA price point perilously close to the base 13" rMBP.

I'm willing to wait a bit longer to see what happens with the Haswell refresh for the rMBP, whenever it arrives. If the rMBP can be bumped from 7 hours of battery to 9 or 10, then that's plenty enticing for me.

7. advancedbasic macrumors newbie

I started essentially the same thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17449016&posted=1#post17449016

and you can see we have slightly different use cases but I think the biggest one that is tipping my decision towards waiting for a Haswell rMBP is my love of photography.

I've never used a retina display, but everyone says it's spectacular for anything that requires visual precision. I figure I'll give it until at LEAST 7/1 and possibly even 8/1 before I take the plunge and buy the Air anyways. I don't think I'd buy the "old" rMBP at that point.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Why not? By any performance benchmark the "old" Pro is still faster than the new Air.

9. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

That's absolutely not true.

The new Air has both a faster GPU and a faster SSD than the current Retina 13"

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Ah....I missed the part above the first time when OP said he was talking about the 13" Retina. I just assumed 15".

11. MajkJaro thread starter macrumors member

How do older games go on the rMBP? Some classics like Transport Tycoon, Quake 1 or 2, Age of Empires 2?

I thought that the Air has hdmi port but I see that it doesn't.

12. gamerish macrumors member

13. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

No contest. The retina is 10x a better machine. Once you use the screen you'll never be able to look at the crappy air display.