new macbook air or wait for 2nd g ipad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cooleddy, Oct 21, 2010.

1. cooleddy macrumors newbie

Dear all the gurus in the mac rumor forums!

I am debating whether to buy a facinating new mac book air (11") or wait for 2nd generation ipad.

I would need to use it only when I travel for conferences or seminars (yes, those academic types...:) ) so I use about once a month (a couple of days per month).
    so the usual suspects: email, internet, word, powerpoint.

currently, I carry a samsung netbook, which suits my need, but slow.

I have powerful enough machines at home and office, so I don't really need powerful ones.

I am getting more interested in using "keynote" rather than MS powerpoint, and that is why I am hooked on macbook air. But the rumor has 2nd generation i pad will somehow enable us to use "keynote" with it.

so should I buy macbook air now? or should I wait about a year or less to see 2nd g ipad?
    Thanks!!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

A real computer, i.e. MBA is much better for Keynote and other tasks that include typing. IMO the 11.6" is quite well priced, I would get it. Waiting game is endless

3. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

4. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Ipad currently can use keynote. It is available in the app store. As far as your needs ... I would say this if you need the portability and type alot I would suggest the MB Air as you have the built in keyboard.

I have an iPad but don't have to type on it much. There is the Bluetooth keyboard you can use with it but to me that defeats its purpose of being so portable if you have to lug that around with it.

5. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I have 1st generation 12" PowerBook I have been using as you describe your needs for many years. I am delighted with the introduction of the 11.6" MBA! I am getting ready as I type this to go to the Apple store and look at the new MBA. I say go for it, waiting for an update on the iPad is futile.

6. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

if you're gonna wait wait for the 11.6" to get on the refurb ;)

7. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

If you have the money, get the MacBook Air.

The iPad is definitely for consuming more than it is for creating.