New Macbook Air / OSX owner questions!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mr Knuckles, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Mr Knuckles macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've just bought my very first Apple Mac, the Macbook Air 13" and I love it! Coming from a noisy Windows 7 desktop, the Air is so quiet, and fast, and beautiful. But I have some questions:-

1) What's the best way to maintain the life of the battery. Should I charge it, let it run dry and then charge it again? Is it a bad idea to use the power supply when it still has some battery power left?

2) I will be taking it out and I want a theft-tracking solution. I think I read that there are some that install to BIOS and work even if the Mac is wiped. Anybody know anything about this? I've seen one, HiddenApp but the website doesn't say how it works.

3) Any recommendations for a strong but light carry case?

4) I have a British model set to the British keyboard layout. However the @ symbol is printed on the number 2 key, and only displays when I press shift and 2 (the USA setting.) Despite the British keyboard layout setting it doesn't work with the shift and ' keys. Is this an Apple thing? Is there an easy way to change this?

5) I'm having difficulty trying to understand why I can't make some programs fullscreen. I have one program that I installed, Final Draft and its took a bit of trial and error to make it look right. The Mac app store doesn't go fullscreen and I can't find the stretch window buttons in the bottom right corner. I was thinking that there is something really obvious that I have missed, but browsing the internet Ive learnt this is a feature that comes with only some programs?!? Have Mac owners never seen a need for fullscreen or is it only a problem on small screen Macbook Airs?

6) When I use my upgrade to next version of OSX will I have to reinstall the software I put on to it?

7) This isn't important but I'm just wondering if more people are right handed then left handed why are the red, amber and green windows control buttons on the left side?

Apart from that its a dream! :)

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Searching will answer most if not all of your questions.

Anywho

5)Mac App store can be stretched by dragging the bottom right corner. Most newer apps (that were specifically designed with this feature) have an up/down arrow in the top right corner, this will enable full screen mode. The app must be designed with this feature (try it in safari). Not all apps, especially older ones will have this.

6) No, you won't have to reinstall anything at all.

7) No reason, just the way apple's software engineers like the layout.

And a handy tip for new OS X users. "Command+H" will hide an app, and you can "Command+TAB" through open apps.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

1) just don't keep it always plugged in and occasionally run the battery down. It is good to cycle the ion batteries, but you don't have to stress about preserving the health.

4. jojoba macrumors 68000

I recommend the app Tutors for Lion, it's quite useful for those new to mac/OSX.

I do what mattopotamus said regarding the battery.

I don't know if by case you mean hard case, but I'd recommend a Joli Originals sleeve for your Air. There's a separate thread on them in this section. They're great quality.

I don't think all apps do full screen modes.