New Macbook Air. Restore from TimeMachine or Migration Assistant?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sneak3, May 28, 2017.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hey guys.

Just got this brand new 2015 Macbook Air 13" to replace one from 2011. I have a timemachine backup.

Which method is the "cleanliest"? I already did a fresh install on the 2011 one 2 months ago so all the apps and settings are the ones I'd like to keep. Wouldn't really enjoy wasting time starting 100% fresh.

Any thoughts?

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Both will work fine. I've only used restore because why bother setting up the machine as new just to use migration to restore from backup.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have had really good results with Migration Assistant. Worked perfectly, right down to the arrangement of items on the desktop.

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I have used both, and where I work IT recommends MA. That said, my personal preference is TM. At least you'll know you have one good backup.

5. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

If for some reason there is a corrupt file or virus backed-up on the TM, then MA would afford better protection.

6. Ace2617 macrumors regular

Ace2617

I've used both in the past. MA worked well. I recently had a problem trying to restore a drive from Time Machine -- I suspect something was probably corrupted in my backup. I'd recommend MA.