New MacBook Air running hot...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NRubino, Dec 8, 2018.

1. NRubino macrumors member

Ive had my MacBook Air for a few weeks now, and recently it seems to be running hot for no apparent reason. I recently made a "Messages" setting change to "store messages in iCloud" and that's what I thought the culprit was because of hours of constant "uploading messages to iCloud" messages in the application.

However, I unchecked the "store messages in iCloud" box and it still seems to be running hot. Im not rendering, or gaming, the only applications open are "Messages" and "safari" (4 windows open in Safari). Should I take it in to be looked at? Thoughts? My older Mid-2013 didn't even run this hot.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2018 ---
    Ran Activity Monitor and its showing "Messages" and "soagent" back and for from like 40-75% each... Didn't realize Messages can use that much processing power.. and not sure what "soagent" is ....

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Appearantly, soagent has something to do with that Messages syncing option you've checked. Look at this discussion:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7422221

Don't know why most cloud-synchronization stuff uses too much resources. I use OneDrive and I prefer leaving it closed when I'm not need syncing something, otherwise my Mac will overhead. Also prefer browsers that block cryptocurrency mining and ads like Opera. This saves a lot of battery and processing power.

3. redhot47fla macrumors newbie

It will take a long time to initially sync your messages with iCloud. Many hours, even a day or more. My suggestion: Just let it finish doing that, shut it down overnight, and then reassess to determine if it has a temperature issue.

4. NRubino thread starter macrumors member

Once the initial sync had completed is it a constant sync issue, or is it just because of the first initial one being so substantial ?

5. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

When that's happening, try opning Activity Monitor and see what app might be using +100% CPU. This happened to me with OneDrive because for no appearant reason, OneDrive just decided to use the full CPU endleslly... although everything has been synced and up to date for days. Some apps are simply not developed by very bright minds. That's atleast what I'd look for at first...

6. kreasonos macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if the new MBA has Hyper Threading?

7. auxbuss macrumors regular

auxbuss

Yes, it has.

$ sysctl hw.physicalcpu hw.logicalcpu
    hw.physicalcpu: 2
    hw.logicalcpu: 4