Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
If apple really releases new MacBook airs soon, they cannot NOT UPDATE the Mac mini any longer!!!

Or can they? Dare they???

The release date of new MacBook Air must be the latest possible imaginable release date of new minis!!!

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Depends what soon means....if we won't see any mini in april, for sure they will keep it till wwdc or autumn.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
The MBA and Mac Mini use different hardware. Mini updates often come months after a MBP update.

Maxedonia

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
The MBA and Mac Mini use different hardware. Mini updates often come months after a MBP update.

Or perhaps this will change? Maybe Apple will start using MBA hardware in the Mac Mini? I hope not, but it does make a lot of sense to me, since the Mac Mini is not a "pro" product...

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
The Mac Mini doesn't need the slimness or portability of the Air. I hope they keep on using similar parts to the MBP in the Mini. I'd like to get a newer quad-core Mini at some point. Maybe/maybe not the next refresh.

DanCorleone

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2013
Or perhaps this will change? Maybe Apple will start using MBA hardware in the Mac Mini? I hope not, but it does make a lot of sense to me, since the Mac Mini is not a "pro" product...

Mac mini could have several options… low end could be like air, high end should be like iMac. Computer was ahead of its time when it came out- so small, and performance compromises were made. Now with the miniaturization in general, fewer performance compromises need be made. I am afraid that the reason for the delay is that they are shrinking it even more. This would be so dumb. Apple pursuing "look at how small it is" for the sake of design, but at the expense of performance.

Last edited:

Maxedonia

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
Mac mini could have several options… low end could be like air, high end should be like iMac. Computer was ahead of its time when it came out- so small, and performance compromises were made. Now with the miniaturization in general, fewer performance compromises need be made. I am afraid that the reason for the delay is that they are shrinking it even more. This would be so dumb. Apple pursuing "look at how small it is" for the sake of design, but at the expense of performance.

I also suspect that they will go this route, because for a Mac Mini server that runs 24/7 the power consumption is more important than performance. Also I think that Apple doesn't want to make the Mac Mini too powerful because it prefers selling iMac's and MBP's.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
The new Mac Mini - if there is ever one - should include one model that will bridge between the low end and the beyond-mere-mortal's-pocketbook Mac Pro.

A thicker form factor that comes with the super-duper PCIe SSD blade, and allows user to swap HDDs for TB storage. Maybe they should consider this design from LaCie

dsc03094.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.