New MacBook Air sound quality suspect

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by henry_the_fifth, May 28, 2016.

1. henry_the_fifth macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I bought a new MacBook Air few weeks ago running 10.11.4.
    I somehow feel that the quality of sound is not good enough.
    There is no problem with the volume but if I play an mp3 file in iTunes or VLC, it sounds too "noisy". The sounds of music instruments are too amplified.
    If I activate the equalizer and set it to "Pop", then the sound quality becomes much much better.

Is this normal or did I get unlucky with faulty hardware?
    I don't have another MacBook Air to compare it with.

Thanks.

2. DFWHD macrumors regular

I also purchased an Air last month, running 10.11.5 now and also think the sound quality is not great (very tinny). My main mac in my study has dedicated speakers, so I'm used to a better quality sound, which is probably made me biased when using my Air in the living room. I guess I purchased the Air for portability and am okay with a lesser quality of sound.

3. henry_the_fifth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. You described it better than me - the sound is very tinny. I was comparing this Air with an old MacBook 2007 model. There is a huge difference in audio quality between the two. Anyway, I think I can live with internal speakers on Air and mess around with equalizer settings.

4. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Didn't care to listen for any macbook's internal speakers at all since they sound like schiit to me. I use a nice 2.1 speakers at home or I use chord mojo and an earphone when away. Both blow the tinny speakers away.