New Macbook Air takes ages to shut down.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by travod, Oct 5, 2013.

1. travod macrumors member

I got the Air in July and for the first few weeks it was speedy quick, but now I'm waiting ~30 seconds for it to shut down. That's longer than my five year old Macbook. Can I do something?

2. checkitout macrumors member

Don't shut it down then.

Why do people feel the urge to shut down their MBAs?

3. Y So Jelly macrumors regular

To show off the boot time..

4. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Do you have a bunch of apps open when you try and shut it down?

Also, how often do you restart it? The less often, the longer it takes to complete shutdown process.

5. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

6. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

I rarely shut my MBA down, but I also have a long shutdown speed.

I've heard its either OSX or a SSD thing? Who knows. Just put it to sleep instead, that "30 day battery" won't die overnight!

7. munakib, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

munakib macrumors 6502

It happened to me after I installed ntfs 3g osxfuse. Since I uninstalled and replaced it with Paragon NTFS, no more shutdown waits.

8. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I have to chime in with the rest of the people on this thread - why shut down? Why even worry about shutdown time? Just put that bad boy to sleep!

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Because sometimes there are reasons for shutting it down. And OP is right, shutting down OS X takes an extraordinarily long time.

10. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

This helped me, write at terminal one by one

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

11. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

What are those reasons? I'm not trying to be difficult, I just almost NEVER see a reason to shutdown. Here's what I can think of:

1. System Update requiring a shutdown - infrequent.
    2. Won't be using the Air for 15-20+ days - probably infrequent.

What am I missing here?

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

1. Restarting in Windows
    2. System instability (Happens a few times per week at work)
    3. So you have a few minutes in the am while the computer boots (my personal fav)

13. richard6r macrumors regular

To everyone making the issue sound like it isn't a big deal and that shutting down is a thing of the past. be real. My macbook air exhibited the same issue and I didn't really care but the genius rep took notice when I was coming in for a unrelated issue and marked it down to a bad logic board.

Either way don't dismiss it immediately. My macbook air now turns on and off within 2-3 seconds from a cold boot.

14. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I had a logic board replacement (for a different issue) and my MBA still had long shut down times. So replacing the logic board will not be a fix for everyone.

I tried this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1589712) and it worked for me (shuts down in 3-4 seconds now, compared to 20-30 seconds before).

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Not so much with the Air, but I can definitely attest to this on my work PC. I've literally had 15 minute startups before because of corporate computer policies.

16. Mike5 macrumors newbie

Mike5

coffee time, yay

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

After having worked at several IT department, the mainframes take 1/2 hour to shut down and 1 hour to boot. Changed my perspective.

18. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

People on Mavericks have said this has been fixed as far as I'm aware

Also for the people who say to not shut down, why the **** are you posting in this thread? Just get out and stop making worthless comments

19. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Interestingly I rang Applecare yesterday regarding a minor annoyance with my rMBP on waking from a long term sleep.
    I was told that Apple laptops are not designed to stay in sleep for long periods of time (even overnight) and they should be shutdown.

Even if you have a problem with that argument I am surprised that some people here ask why someone needs to shutdown at all. Really?
    I would argue that it's bordering on ridiculous to not shutdown for weeks on end.
    But that's just me. :)

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

Interesting that the Apple tech said that when Apple's marketing touts the 30 day sleep time.

Personally, I don't shut down because it's a convenience thing. My PC desktops take a while to start up, so I just let them sleep. My Air is more or less instant on, and my iPhone is instant on. If I had an iPad, I wouldn't shut it off either.

For me, sleep allows a seamless transition between usage periods. I can close the lid and walk away for a while, only to come back later to exactly where I was and what I was doing. Any impact on battery life is negligible.

Anyway, asking why isn't inherently a bad thing. It allows dialog and free-flowing opinions. I would agree, however, that judging people closes people up and puts them on the defensive.

21. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i have never heard this, at least not from a reputable source. I think whoever you spoke to was misinformed. I almost never shutdown/reboot my macs. It's not a windows machine - they can take it. I would argue that they absolutely were designed to stay in sleep for long periods of time.

to be clear i think people responding with "don't shut it down then" are being silly but there really is nothing wrong with never shutting it down.

Someone made a script that i linked to up thread that fixes this "problem"
    my air 2013 was taking "forever" to shutdown, i ran it and now it shuts down in less than 30s.

22. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

For the simple reason that there have repeatedly been people on these boards who thought you HAD or SHOULD shutdown, when for the vast majority, sleep is way, way better, faster, and easier. You don't need to be the thread police - just relax.

23. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Security is a good reason to shut down your machine. I routinely shut-down when I leave it unattended in a "semi-public" place... such as in the trunk of my car, a hotel room safe, or other place were theft is possible and/or easy.

The combination of using FV2, Firmware password, and cold shutdown is the best practical approach to protecting your data... and hence your identity.

/Jim

24. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

not arguing with you but what specifically does shutting down do for you in that situation that sleep wouldn't?

25. jdechko macrumors 68040

On a machine with removable RAM, there might be some benefit to shutting down so the encryption keys aren't accessible. But that crosses from the realm of probability into the improbable. I don't disagree that FV/ encryption is a good idea, but any thief likely cares about the machine itself and not the data on the drive.