New MacBook Air.....When ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by shopsmart99, Sep 11, 2010.

  1. shopsmart99 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2010
    #1
    I am waiting for the new MacBook Air and can't wait much longer....
    Does anyone have an idea when they are coming out ?
    I don't like the trackpad on the current MBA, so i would like to
    wait for the updates....

    When are they coming out?
     
  2. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #2
    No one but Apple knows.

    There haven't been any rumours lately.

    [​IMG]
     
  3. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #3
    On tuesday.
     
  4. halledise macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    #4
    about as predictable as the day of the 2nd Coming :D
     
  5. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

    jbyun04

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    My guess is when they release the 27" Apple Cinema Display.
     
  6. drjsway macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #6
    It's been almost a year and a half since the last revision. I think if Apple is planning a mild spec bump, they would've done it already. If they wanted to discontinue it, they would've done that too.

    I think their silence means they have something big planned. Maybe a hybrid system that can run both iOS and OS X.
     
  7. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #7
    When was the first?

    No idea but a 13" MBP is a great option at this point. Better battery, roughly same price. Go with a 2.4/SSD. And if a new Air comes out, you can always sell it to upgrade.
     
  8. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

    Cheffy Dave

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    #8
    Get over it, no one here or anywhere knows,only Steve, and he's not saying :eek: whine on!
     
  9. peapody macrumors 68040

    peapody

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    baltimore, md
    #9
    It has been pretty quiet on the MBA front. We had full pictures of iphone and ipod stuffs in advance so I feel like there won't be an MBA improvement for a while.
     
  10. godslabrat macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2007
    #10
    My opinion is no better/worse than anyone else's, but here goes...

    Every major product Apple sells has been revised in the past year. Every computer, every iPod*, even AppleTV. Not only is the MBA "due" for an update, it's the only product that hasn't been shown love in a while. Apple is going to do SOMETHING on the computer front in the next few months, before the holiday shopping season... it would be a very good time to release a new MBA. The current MacBooks are mid-cycle, so a new MBA could also coincide with a MB/MBP spec bump.

    I'm hoping to see rumors along these lines between now and the end of October.

    BUT, I'm not claiming to have any knowledge, nor trying to start rumors. This is just me trying to decipher Apple's schedule by eliminating unlikely scenarios.



    *I'm assuming the Classic "no longer counts" as being updateable. The only question now is when to EOL it.
     
  11. codehead macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    #11
    When, When, When?!?!

    Oh, gods is this what we are reduced to, another WHEN thread? Without any real information/leaks we are forced to 'talk amongst ourselves' just to survive to the next Tuesday? Only to have our hopes/prayers dashed once again. We parse specs and create wish lists and have technical discussions about size, thinness and next generation components - that go over most of our heads - or even speculate on, shudder, The End of The Air. Oh the agony, the horror.:rolleyes:
     
  12. halledise macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    #12
    as far as I can tell, it was around this time of the year in 3 BC.

    shepherds in the middle east are still out in the fields with their flocks sept/oct :D
     
  13. izimzis macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2010
    #13
    i dont know which cpu/gpu would bring overall improvement for the mba, so i think we have to wait until intel brings out the new ones...
     
  14. thinkdesign macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    #14
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

    The Barron's rumor said "September".
     
  15. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

    jamesryanbell

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    #16
    After perusing this thread, this is by far the most accurate reply.
     
  16. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2008
    #17
    Maybe sooner than expected. December 7th with a new iPad?
     
  17. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

    wirelessmacuser

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2009
    Location:
    Planet.Earth
    #18
    My guess is before the end of the year. I'm eager to see what it's like. If it's a good upgrade, I'm going to buy one to replace my first gen model.
     
  18. animatedude macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2010
    #19
    you guys are party poopers! the rumors say it's September..then it's September,we still have 3 Tuesdays :)
     
  19. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #20
    Agreed. It will be big... and it might be the exact same day the MB and 13" MBP get updates... I suspect all three will get the same base configuration for the opportunity of designing, developing, and manufacturing that lowers overall costs of components, costs of developing, costs of updating software, and etc.

    Apple COULD update the MBA first, then follow up with MBP updates... however, it's time to introduce beyond C2D in 13" Mac notebooks. As of January first, Intel is no longer making C2D CPUs. So it's either AMD CPUs with AMD, formerly ATI, GPU/chipsets. Or it's Core i7 (in the MBA, Core i3 in MB, Core i5 in 13" MBP), and I don't want to hear, "NO WAY DUDE they will put a Core i3 in it"... the MBA isn't a frying plate, and there are no LV replacements in either Core i3/i5 series CPUs. In addition, Apple has always used a premium CPU in the MBA, and the SL9x00 replacement is an i7 LV CPU.

    If Apple uses Intel Core i7 CPUs, will they be Sandy Bridge? I say maybe. If they use Sandy Bridge, will they use Intel's IGP as the MBA's sole graphics solution... I say no! I predict EITHER AMD CPU/GPU/Chipset OR Intel with an ATI 5430 GPU in the MBA. I predict a 5450 in the MB and a 5470 in the 13" MBP... but those could be upgrade options too. I don't believe they will use both the discrete and integrated GPU if they do go Intel/AMD discrete. I believe they will disable the Intel IGP, and focus solely on the 7W ATI 54x0 in the 13" Mac notebooks.

    That's what I think... OH WHEN... I say October or Early November at earliest, and January as most likely date. Apple has a ton of product it can sell for the holidays without updating Macs at all. iPhone 4 is still very hot. iPad still a hot seller, at 3m per month, and smaller iPad with FaceTime is probably the additional product yet to be introduced at a live event yet this year. I say iLife '11 and iWork '11 get updated at the exact same time as the new iPad with smaller display and FaceTime. Apple probably has 10m ready for the holidays. Apple can also sell the hell out of AppleTV, iPod Touch with FaceTime, and 27" iMacs... and people will buy MBPs whether they're updated before the holidays or not. So realistically, unless Apple is introducing a $999 MBA, there is no reason to update before all of the components are ready.

    Let's come back in a few months and see how close we all are with our guesses... hell, I am willing to throw in a dollar if someone wants to make up an "office pool." We pick ten possibilities, and each come up with our answer for each of the ten. That would be fun wouldn't it? We really all need to get lives. But I am here waiting for a new MBA daily... I always have to tell myself "maybe Apple would update on another day besides Tuesdays."
     
  20. Lambros macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2010
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #21
    I don't think Apple would release a core ix processor on a MBA before MBP. Therefore, my guess is when MBP 13" gets revised with a core ix processor, things will change for the MBA. Just my guess.
     
  21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

    BornAgainMac

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Location:
    Florida Resident
    #22
    The pattern is an update after the 20th of the month falling on a Tuesday.
     
  22. cleric macrumors 6502a

    cleric

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #23
    Bet your still waiting for your PowerBook G5 too.
     
  23. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #24
    Which rumours?
     
  24. Full of Win macrumors 68030

    Full of Win

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2007
    Location:
    Ask Apple
    #25
    If Apple was a child, then the MacBook Air would be like a toy it got tired of pretty quick. It will be updated when Intel stops making the current CPU in it and Apple has to upgrade to continue its manufacture.
     

Share This Page