New MacBook Air without Mavericks ???

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by davidgnomo, Nov 29, 2013.

1. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

I bought today a MacBook Air and it came without Mavericks ... is it normal ??? Do I have to fear they sold me an old machine ? How do I know if it's the last release of a Macbook or if they sold me a previous generation cpu machine ?

2. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Click on the Apple Menu, then About This Mac, then More Info…
    What does it say under MacBook Air? There should be a description of the model, followed by processor and graphics info (both of which should differentiate the model).

3. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Macbook Air 13 inches, mid 2013

Processor 1,3 Ghz Intel Core I5

Memory 4 Gb 1600 Mhz DDR3

4. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

That's all good then. You just got a model produced before Mavericks was launched. You can upgrade for free.

5. Mac.User macrumors 6502

All that means is that it was on the shelf for a few months before you bought it. Nothing to worry about.

6. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

I ordered a build to order Mini i7 at Mavericks launch and it shipped with OS 10.8.3. I assumed it would come with 10.9 since it was hot off the line but they must had a backlog of pre-configured OS 10.8.3 Fusion drives in the factory. I upgraded to 10.9 immediately but probably should have waited for 10.91 or 10.92. Mavericks works fine for most things but is a little more buggy than 10.85 (e.g., FW drives won't sleep).