New MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jdotwu, Jul 22, 2013.

1. jdotwu macrumors newbie

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is Apple's official info on battery care.

Other than that, just fire up your Macbook and use it. Are there any particular applications you were looking for?

It is a really good idea to buy an external USB drive to use with the included Time Machine application for backups.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If this is your first Mac, what where you using before?

Installing Windows in bootcamp and/or Parallels is one of the first things I recommend to people who can't make a transition to Mac OS cold turkey.

4. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Don't worry about maintenance (repairing files, using cleaner software) because your mac doesn't need all that. Use apps from the mac app store as much as possible because they are almost guaranteed to work bug free and contain no virus and they have been reviewed by apple.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I would recomend you avoid these steps:

2 - If you have the space for it, don't bother. As with any SSD, try to leave 25%-33% empty as most times.

3 - This can be done in iTunes on a per device basis; no need for terminal commands.

4 - Mail.app is good, no need to avoid it. I prefer webmail for gmail, but work email goes to Mail.app.

5 - Again, if you have the space for it, don't bother. This author seems psychoticaly bent on not using his SSD at all.

7 - DO NOT do this. This app, and other apps like it, has been known to mess this up for some users on this forum. There are better ways to uninstall apps manually. The easiest way which is good enough for 95% of users is to just drap the .app file into the trash.

6. TC25 macrumors 68020

Yes, read threads on this forum where you can find, among other knowledge, 100s of links to the same battery care instructions at Apple.