new macbook airs and bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tbluhp, Jun 20, 2012.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

Are the new macbook airs capable of doing boot camp? I am moving from a macbook mid 2010 to macbook air and I am so new to the air.

2. joudbren macrumors regular

Yes. I have a 60GB Win7 x64 Bootcamp partition on my new 2012 i7 Air and the driver package is available now from Apple. It (drivers) will be downloaded automatically when you fire up the Bootcamp utility. I would highly recommend though that you get a 256GB SSD version to have a "comfortable" amount of space in both partitions. Cheers!

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes. It took a few days, but Apple released updated Boot Camp drivers last week.

You might try downloading Winclone 3.3 (it's now a paid download - $20) to migrate your existing Boot Camp partition. You may have mixed success, though. For some reason, after I migrated, I could open up my Boot Camp partition in Parallels 7, but when I boot directly to Boot Camp, my keyboard and trackpad don't register at the login screen. I used Winclone 2.3, though, not 3.3 (I found out about 3.3 after the fact). I'm going to back up Windows from within Parallels (using Windows Backup or Laplink), and then manually reinstall Windows to see if that works. Sometimes Winclone doesn't work right when transferring from a Mac with a different processor.