New MacBook Alu stolen by FedEx. Bastids

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arun21, Oct 22, 2008.

1. arun21 macrumors member

So I've been patiently waiting for my 2.0ghz macbook alu to arrive. It's been sitting in the NYC FedEx location since Oct. 17 with no updates. Fedex finally said that it is lost. Luckily Apple is replacing it for free for me NOW, AND upgrading me to the 2.4ghz model for the trouble. This was going to be a return anyways as I was one of the people that ordered the 2.0 thinking it had the backlit screen.

Patience pays off... but this is not the first time that I've had fedex steal something from Apple that is being sent to me.

2. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

Wow I wish that had happened to me haha. Free upgrade! Yay :D

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry about the 2.0 GHz, but congrats on the 2.4 GHz and backlit keyboard.

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

5. arun21 thread starter macrumors member

Ive also been waiting over a week with no computer at home as I sold my blackbook right before the new macbooks were released. I some how got very lucky again and sold the VERY FIRST generation blackbook for $1000 to a guy in the UK.

I've been using my iphone to check email/do minor surfing at night. It's getting old.

6. Zadiek macrumors member

7. Dave4 macrumors member

Due to the pound being so expensive and apple ripping off the UK, i can see why the person who bought your blackbook thought it was a good deal. They retailed at about $1900 in the UK last month.

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Ha that's awesome! I know it sucks to have to wait but it'll be worth it!

9. arun21 thread starter macrumors member

Good point. Thanks for the insight.

10. burnttoast0304 macrumors member

can I install microsoft Office on Macbook?

opps wrong forum...

11. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

12. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

That's awesome
    I wonder if Apple will upgrade your MB Alu to a MBP if FedEx steals again :p

13. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

You say you're from NY but BASTIDS? Sounds like Boistin ( BOSTON ) :rolleyes:

And good job on the upgrade :)

14. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

nice, but very wasteful for Apple. Stupid that a fedex guy would risk their job over a computer...

you deserve the free upgrade but at the same time it's not apple's fault.

15. arun21 thread starter macrumors member

This isnt the first time it's happened with Apple shipments and them getting stolen by fedex...not ups.

I think I ordered Logic Studio a while back and I had to have the same thing happen to me. Fedex stole the package, and apple had to replace. Apple will get their money back too though when they file the claim with fedex.

16. arun21 thread starter macrumors member

to my defense, i used to live in boston, but now in nyc.

17. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

wow... congrats!
    i think it was worth the wait

18. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I doubt this will be on Apple's coin. Insurance is part of the shipping contract, and the "free" shipping is built into the price of the product. We all pay for it. But it worked out great for the OP. :D Congrats.

19. hazoomeh macrumors member

Why are you congratulating OP when he's the beneficiary of some other guy's theft? He's nothin but a lucky bastid.

20. King Luis macrumors 6502

thats sucks but it did pay off.....i had my iphone 16gb 3g stolen by ups. 3 weeks until they said they lost it....took them 4 days extra for me to get the replacement. funny how it took them 2 extra weeks to figure it was lost/stolen.

21. arun21 thread starter macrumors member

already got the new 2.4ghz. they overnighted it to me.

However, I am a victim of the slanted keys and the glass track pad isnt 100% responsive in all areas. Oh well. It doesnt bother me at all. At least the battery/HD cover isnt loose. Beautiful machine though. Anyone that says the new alu macbooks are ugly can go shove it.
    :)

22. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Lucky you! I've never ordered from Apple before, but I have had shipments mysteriously disappear when shipped by FedEx. I don't think they are as careful in their hiring practices as UPS and DHL. I have never had a shipment disappear with either of them. I had a UPS shipment get routed wrong once and they were jumping through hoops to try to fix it. It was a Christmas gift and they ended up having a truck come out and deliver it to me on Christmas day. I was impressed! I will never ship anything FedEx again! Of course, when you're ordering from a web site sometimes you have no choice.....

23. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

Followed, the thread, and happy for your turnout. Im on my 3rd replacement alumibook and each one has had 3+ dead pixels, slanted keys, and in one case had a dent on the front "latch." I wonder if there ia any QA going on at all.

24. ChocoboNL macrumors member

So, does the low-end aluminum MacBook not have a backlit screen?!
    That's kinda disappoiting.. ^__^