New macbook aluminimum heat problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by :P/n:(JAB), Dec 25, 2008.

1. :P/n:(JAB) macrumors newbie

I got this new macbook aluminimum, and when i do some heavier (just playing internet game and stuff) the heat of the processor sometimes reaches about 80 degreas celsius or 100 degrees fahrenheit or 313 kelvin. :(

should i return it to apple or is this normal, I don't really thinkg this is meant to be this way :confused:

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Well if your doing gaming and other stuff it's very likely the temperature will raise since gaming uses quite A LOT of CPU and if you are blocking the airflow on your MB is also another way causing your MB's temperature to skyrocketing.

3. RobotBanana macrumors newbie

RobotBanana

That does seem kind of hot. I don't know much about the Macbook processor, but regular desktop PC CPUs tend to have problems around 72-75 Celsius IIRC. That's usually the point at which the computer shuts itself down due to overheating. I don't know why Macbooks would be able to sustain such high temperatures without an issue, but you should probably wait for someone with more Macbook experience to voice their opinion as well.

4. svndmvn Guest

are you using it in clamshell mode? that could be the problem
    have you tried coolbook?

5. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

80 C is 175F or so...

When I use handbrake or visualhub, the processor reaches close to 190F on occasion. It shouldn't be a problem. I hadn't had any issues with it at those temperatures encoding.

clamshell mode should not matter either. There is enough ventilation for the fans even if the lid is closed.

6. :P/n:(JAB) thread starter macrumors newbie

well I see it's normal :( , I have this freeware app smcFanControl that can make the airflow a little bit faster, on this way I can cooldown enough, on 3500rpm (standard 2002rpm) but still I think this is not want apple wanted.