New MacBook (aluminum) worth the upgrade from old MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nomad4, Oct 16, 2008.

1. nomad4 macrumors newbie

So, I just got a MacBook in August for $1500. It's the 2.4GHz black one with 250GB drive. My question is this: is it worth the hassle to sell this one off on either eBay or Craigslist and to get this new MacBook? I've been looking around and can tell only that there is a new trackpad and that it's lighter. Can anyone shed some light on what else has been updated?

Thanks everyone! :D

2. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Well what do you do or want to do with it? Specs are pretty easy to find so it is not really worth it to list them all here. It pretty much boils down to the firewire though. Do you use it? Video editing on the new macbook will probably be marginally better, but importing dv through firewire is nonexistant. If that does not concern you, get or keep whatever you like better personally. It seems so far the performance difference is negligible, except for maybe the graphics. But if integrated graphics is working for you now, it should only get better, just not by much per generation. If what works for you now, keep it. I upgrade about every third gen, balances new tech, good resale, and wow factor. In my opinion.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The GPU is the only significant improvement. Save your money for something a lot nicer in two years. ;)

4. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

i'd agree with the previous post; the only significant change is the Igpu. however, it is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. i mean, it seriously destroys the old macbook and it's X3100.

so if say, gaming is an issue for you- it's worth it.

5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

it isn't the only upgrade. You get aluminum casing and that's important to a lot of people. Looks like a more professional machine. Though you do lose firewire

6. nomad4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...thanks everyone for piping up. Good points made by everyone.

Ediorian, I think I should follow your sage advice and save myself the money and trouble. I was initially very attracted to the new aluminum case, which I would assume feels much sturdier than my current plastic MacBook. That plus the new trackpad that enables multitouch and gestures.

Performance-wise, I'm not looking for much out of the machine. So far I've only typed up my screenplay on it, burned an occasional disc, and browsed the web. But I was getting rather tired of having to press Command+[ and Command+] to go back and forth in Safari. I was hoping that some kind of new gestures from the new touchpad would allow me to simply swipe my fingers to go back and forth in my history.

Royale with cheese, I think your upgrade model is a sound one and I am not ashamed to say that I will be taking your idea and using it myself!

So, overall, with everyone's input, I've decided NOT to go through the hassle of getting the new aluminum MacBook. Thanks everyone!

And though this may be off-topic, I just had one quick question to ask: does anyone know if I can somehow get a touchpad gesture to go back and forth in Safari?

Again, thank you everyone for pitching in!

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have a Logitech Mouse with the Back and Forward buttons mapped to Cmd + [ and Cmd + ]. :rolleyes:

It works in Finder too.

Unless you're dedicated to gaming then the older plastic MacBooks are just as fast as the current models.

8. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

OP...imo...absolutely not worth it. It's primarily a cosmetic update.

Someone may say...if you're a dedicated gamer, then the new gpu is a big upgrade. True, but who in their right mind buys a MB as a gaming machine???

Save your money...and wait for Nahalem based machines in Sept/Oct 09.

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It will still run OS X and will most likely do everythat that you need to do at the same pace.

10. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Why?

Im now just considering to upgrade from my powerbook G3 to a powerbook G4. Macs are built to last!:apple:

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Wow. I clicked on this thread because I am in the same situation. Guess we'll all be waiting for Nehalem in 09. Isn't Snow Leopard coming out around then as well?

12. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

Multiclutch will do that

13. nomad4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a mouse that I bring with me when I use my laptop. I bring it with me to the mall and coffee shops and whatnot and wouldn't use a mouse. Otherwise I'm sure that's one of the first things I would've thought of :D

I'll definitely check out that Multiclutch, thanks a lot!