Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uponthemyohmy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
So I know things can go wrong, but it still annoys me.

I got my new macbook Pro 13" this morning. Its beautiful, but I found after an hour of use that my earphones won't fit in the jack. I tried several pairs, I checked to see if it was blocked... nothing. So I have to go aaaall the way to the Apple store to get them to check it out, to possibly have to exchange it and transfer all of my files again. What a pain.

Now I check my status and Apple tells me I have only 1 year warranty... when I bought it as a Uni student on my uni campus internet and it clearly stated 3 years hardware - 1 year phone. I know this for a fact because I spent some time deciding weather to get the 'uplift' for £40 or so and in the end went without. Is this a mistake they've made?

How annoying!

Any advice on what I should do? I opened a support query on the apple site which says 'stay by your phone, we will ring you momentarily' ... but they havent rang yet.

I hope this is all coincidence and Apple aren't losing their fab service!!!

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
I'm not sure how what your uni claimed for warranty is a problem with the MacBook, nor does it have anything to do with how long you've owned it.

So what's the deal with the headphone jack? The headphones don't plug in all the way, don't fit the hole at all? Are you able to post a pic of the plug next to the jack?

As far as what to do, if there really is a defect in the jack, what can you do but get Apple to fix or swap it? Why talk to them on the phone about it? It stinks, but defects happen. It's how the defects are handled that makes good or bad service.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Any advice on what I should do? I opened a support query on the apple site which says 'stay by your phone, we will ring you momentarily' ... but they havent rang yet.

I think the best advise anyone could give you would be to stay by your phone as Apple will be calling you momentarily.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
So I know things can go wrong, but it still annoys me.

I got my new macbook Pro 13" this morning. Its beautiful, but I found after an hour of use that my earphones won't fit in the jack. I tried several pairs, I checked to see if it was blocked... nothing. So I have to go aaaall the way to the Apple store to get them to check it out, to possibly have to exchange it and transfer all of my files again. What a pain.

Now I check my status and Apple tells me I have only 1 year warranty... when I bought it as a Uni student on my uni campus internet and it clearly stated 3 years hardware - 1 year phone. I know this for a fact because I spent some time deciding weather to get the 'uplift' for £40 or so and in the end went without. Is this a mistake they've made?

How annoying!

I hope this is all coincidence and Apple aren't losing their fab service!!!

I recently bought a 13" Retina MBP using the higher education discount and the extended warranty didn't show up right away. I can't remember exactly how long but was at least a few days before it showed up on my support page on Apple's web site.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why not bring it back to where you bought it and explain the issue? Being such a new computer, I'd rather bring it back and have it exchanged then start a dialing online where apple will need to ship out a computer for you (after receiving your computer).

Also did you shine a light into the jack to see if there's obstructions?

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
On new devices the headphone jack can be a little tight. Will the headphones not fit at all (not normal), or does it just take a decent amount of effort for them to click in (normal)?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think the best advise anyone could give you would be to stay by your phone as Apple will be calling you momentarily.

I hope the OP is not still by the phone. :p:p:D
Screen_Shot_2015-07-24_at_10_12_31_AM.png

Reactions: Emathieu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.