New MacBook and Civilization 4?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Muzzway, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Muzzway macrumors regular

Well, I plan on getting a new SR MacBook, and I thought that I might try out Civ 4 on it.

Anyone attempted this? In OS X that is; I don't want to buy Windows just for one game. It doesn't need to be incredibly fast, just as long as it works and doesn't crash (too often :rolleyes:).

2. Fel macrumors newbie

The Mac version of Civ4 and the Warlords expansion runs fine on my MBP. Used it under Tiger and now under Leopard. I've played Civ since 1992, so I'd be annoyed if it was laggy, but really no problems at all.

Fel

3. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

same here, Civ IV feels great on my MBP

the only problem I can see on a MB is the integrated graphics card, I am not sure, but it might not be up to snuff, you may experience some slowness unless you turn graphics stuff down/off

But I play Civ for the gameplay, not the eye-candy

4. Muzzway thread starter macrumors regular

5. maximus06 macrumors regular

The above people are morons. You are talking about the MB not the MBP. The MPB has a dedicated graphics card, a good one at that able to handle pretty much any new and old game.

The MB has an integrated one, the new SR ones have an X3100 which may or may not be able to run Civ 4, but you cannot compare it to performance on a MBP.

6. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

uuuhhhh....

if you will take note, we both noted that we were using MBP's and I made sure to mention that the MB graphics might not be able to handle it

play nice

7. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

The pain point with Civ4 is definitely the CPU, so a newer MacBook should be pretty close to the performance of a MBP.

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It is very heavy on the GPU as well. You can't even get the full graphics options on Civ IV on a SR MacBook Pro.

9. Muzzway thread starter macrumors regular

As long as I can play it on low graphics settings fairly well, I'm good.

Of course, 'twould be nice if someone who has tried the game on a SR MacBook posts.

10. thies macrumors regular

your comment was essentially still pointless. I always wonder why it is that someone asks about a specific machine and people owning completely different ones answer.