New MacBook. And ideas

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by johndavidwright, Feb 2, 2009.

1. johndavidwright macrumors member

so i just got a macbook for my mom. 2.1 GHz, 1 GB ram and 120 HD and i was wondering if there was anything that i need to install on it besides what comes with it. just making sure i havent forgotten anything.
    thanks!

2. Doju macrumors 68000

Nope! There's nothing die-hard necessary, but Quicksilver might be a nice application to have. Jon4lakers made a neat video about some great free Mac apps, check the video out on his channel. :)

I welcome your mom to the wonderful world that is Mac.

3. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Having somekind of word processor / office suite could be nice. Apple's own iWork, MS office or open office NeoOffice (the latter two being free and open-sourced).

There are a few other apps that are nice but depend on what kind of a user she is. VLC is another good option, it can open just about any file format known to man and a few that aren't readable in mac os stock. UnrarX is another must. (mind you, maybe it does come with mac os stock)

If she's more of a "power-user" you might want to introduce her to multi-clutch (an app that let's you assign track pad gesture to just about anything) and QuickSilver (an app that automises a bunch of stuff) after a while. But if she's new to the mac platform, forget about, she'll have to adjust for a while. I know my dad, who has worked with computer for quite a while (learned to program using punch cards to give you an idea) and uses Linux (less for unix) distributitions and non-windows operating systems on a daily basis get's quite frustrated when doodling on my macbook, he doesn't quite grasp multi-touch and hot corners yet nor the way mac os handles windows.

I must admit I was quite intimitated the first time I used a mac and all my windows disapered when the mouse went to a corner and even more they all tilled. Mind you, within a week of using mac os, I quickly became very efficiant.

4. johndavidwright thread starter macrumors member

oh i love quicksilver! my mom wouldnt even use it. she doesnt even understand the concept of facebook and twitter. haha