New Macbook and Industrial Designer....will it work?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by steviedee, Oct 17, 2008.

1. steviedee macrumors newbie

Yallo,

New 2.4 Macbook arriving Wednesday, and am switching over from PC (due to vista networking if neone is wondering).

I am doing Industrial Design at University and as far as i'm concerned, the 2.4 ghz macbook is pretty much as powerful as the previous macbook pro base model (tell me if i'm wrong).

So what i wanna know is how well the new macbook will run 3D programs like rhino, autocad and solidworks ( for solidowrks i will dual boot it with XP NOT VISTA. Also no parallels, no bootcamp, they are a waste of time)

Much Thanks

Steve

2. steviedee thread starter macrumors newbie

also, where is the fan located?

Will it get hot if i leave it on my blanket on?

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Congrats on the switch. No the new 2.4 Macbook isn't as powerful as the old base Pro. They did bench tests already and it was below it on most things. Graphic wise it was still substantially less and speed wise the new 2.4 Macbook didn't perform any better on apps than the last gen 2.4 Macbook (not including graphic wise).

4. steviedee thread starter macrumors newbie

Currently in my hp DV5128tx laptop i have a seperate graphics card Nvidia Geforce Go 7400 128mb and it renders well. Does anyone have any idea if the integrated graphics card in the 2.4 macbook is more powerful, less powerful?

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Integrated graphics will always be less powerful than dedicated ones. The 7400 dedicated graphics was more powerful than this integrated one. Probably not by much, but still less.