New Macbook and Mac in general owner

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Stow, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Stow macrumors member

SO I got a great price on an 2016 m5 Macbook. Debating on whether this is good enough to get into xcode and developing ios apps. I am just starting to learn it so I don imagine doing anything to advanced right away. Any thoughts on this or should I spend more money and get a pro.

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

You'll be fine on the m5 for basic Xcode especially in the learning stages.

I occasionally use my m3 with Xcode. It's a bit slow in the iOS simulator but Xcode itself runs great.

3. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I found the simulator to boot up quickly on my m3 compared to my 2012 MacBook Pro. That might have to do with the HDD vs SSD, but I think it loads pretty fast.

4. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Xcode will be fine in most cases.

I use Unity along with Xcode on my M5 without an issue.

5. Stow thread starter macrumors member

6. Stow thread starter macrumors member

If you had to choose between this or and entry level pro as your first Mac and for development? Do you think I made a good choice in picking the MacBook? I love everything about it just want to make sure as I learn developing that I won't grow out of it within the year.

7. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

For what the Macbook can do. Which is everything. I couldn't see myself buying another MBP in the future unless they are made in the Macbook form factor.

If you want portability and power, the Macbook is the best by far. Don't let the 1.2ghz fanless design hold you back. I let it put me off for ages coming from a MBP with dedicated GPU and 16gb RAM. Haven't looked back since and wish I'd switched from the beginning.

I'm running XCode, Unity 5, Parallels 12 with Windows 10. All at the same time, all doing 3d tasks or compiling and in terms of speed there is very little difference to a MBP.

But the key is, I'm always productive without being tied to a desk. Which means I make more time to get things done or relax. The thing pays for itself.