New Macbook and Painter X?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tarside, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Tarside macrumors newbie

I am going to buy a new macbook/macbook pro but i'm not sure anymore what i need since the new macbook has better graphics.

Today I have a PC:
    AMD 64 3500+ (2.2GHz)
    1.5Gb RAM
    Geforce 6600GT SLI
    24" 1920*1200 lcd screen
    Wacom Intuos 3

I will be using Lightroom, Photoshop, Painter X. I know that the new macbook will run photoshop fine, but will it be able to handle Painter X? Some brushes slow my computer down really bad today and i want to make sure this is not the case with my new one. Will i be fine with a new macbook or is the macbook pro better?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know about Painter X, but either new Apple laptop will smoke your old computer. Just having more RAM would have helped you.

3. Tarside thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, of course! I will buy 4GB Ram. But what i don't understand is if the graphic card actually helps out in painter or if it is all about memory and processor?! Does anyone use Painter and know this?

By the way, in the keynote Steve said that the Geforce 9400m was about 55% of a Geforce 8600m GT. On average a mbp with a 8600m Gt gets around 7000 in 3dmark05. That would mean that the 9400m would get almost 4000...

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I don't think Painter is GPU accelerated.

And 3Dmark05 isn't as cut and dry as that. The score is about all the components and not only the GPU.