new macbook and thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 537635, Mar 9, 2015.

1. 537635 macrumors 6502

Only Display Port is mentioned in the specs. Will it be even possible to connect the display? No thunderbolt&magsafe TO USB-C adapter is mentioned...

2. dannythemenace macrumors newbie

I would also like to hear an answer for that. I would like to somehow use my old 24 inch apple led screen

3. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

For display purposes, Thunderbolt and DisplayPort is the same thing. So yes, it will work with Thunderbolt Display. You just won't get Thunderbolt I/O.

Attached Files:

4. dannythemenace macrumors newbie

Ok but how will I be able to connect my old 24 inch led apple screen which has usb/magsafe/minidisplayport cable???

5. aquilc macrumors member

What do you think with respect to performance? Although it will have an 8GB RAM, and an SSD, I still have doubts on the new Intel Core M chips :/

6. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

It will not work with a thunderbolt display as older DP macs do not work with thunderbolt displays.

7. dannythemenace macrumors newbie

and with older 24 inch led apple screen??

8. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

No reason why it should not without the proper adapter(s).

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Now if only they'd introduced a new TBD...... :(

10. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

When Tbolt 3 comes (late 2015-early 2016), so will a 5K Apple Display. They're just biding their time here until it comes. But this machine alas is not gonna be able to use 60Hz 4K or 5K displays. Just 30Hz 4K, hence misleading specs.

11. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

But what about all those Macs that can't run that?

I just want an elegant monitor/docking station that beats my 1080p one. I have a Dell all picked out, but I can't bring myself to buy it for fear of Apple updating the TBD.

12. Trhodezy macrumors regular

Thunderbolt Display & Macbook

Hi guys.

So after deciding to move from my 11" 2012 MBA 1.7ghz 128GB 4GB to the new rMB I was wondering, what with the new SINGLE USB-C port, how would I go about connecting it to the (external thunderbolt) display? Also, should we be able to connect it - can I still access my files on my thunderbolt hard drive that's connected to said display?

I only ask because I can't seem to see an adapter anywhere...

13. Trhodezy macrumors regular

On a side note: should it all connect up fine, wouldn't it technically be possible to plug the rMB (supplied) USB cable into the Displays USB port and then plug the other end (USBC) into the rMB thus charging it? Negating the need to find an adapter to put on the end of the power cable coming from the display... Just my two pence.

14. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

heh, good question!
    You're going to need some adapters going into adapters to make it happen.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=51

Need some sort of HDMI to Displayport one to go with this.

Is your display a DisplayPort monitor or a Thunderbolt monitor? If it's a thunderbolt monitor than there's no adapters that will work as the new rMB doesn't have thunderbolt.

15. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

The specs do say that it does support:
    "Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output"

So chances are Apple will have an adapter to sell ya, but if it's a thunderbolt monitor then you're SOL.

16. Serban Suspended

USB-C supports USB 3.1 so 10GB/sec so thunderbolt 1 is supported
    Yes no thunderbolt 2 bec it has 20gbs

17. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

But USB-C can also be only USB 3.0. It is up to the manufacturer which spec they support. As far as I know, the rMB is only USB 3. I don't think USB 3.1 will arrive until Skylake is released.

18. HelsinkiMac macrumors member

And Apple specifically say USB-C gen1 is only 5GBps somewhere on the webpages for the new Macbook...