New MacBook and update problem...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamesEsquire, Jul 18, 2007.

1. JamesEsquire macrumors newbie

Just purchased a MacBook and i am now going through the process of the system updates. It has started to install the mac os x update but now it is on 'optimizing system performance' and it has been for the last 2 hours!!!! if i try and click on safari or itunes.. nothing happens

should i just keep waiting? is it normal for it to take this long? i dont want to pull the plug on it...

2. JamesEsquire thread starter macrumors newbie

almost 2 and a half hours now... will it damage it if i force a reset?

help!

3. Macfanatic867 macrumors member

I've never had that problem, but my (probably cavalier) advice would be to just force restart it. If your computer is new you probably don't have anything on it that you can't quickly add again so if it does screw it up you can just start over. But's thats just me. Let us know what happens.

4. JamesEsquire thread starter macrumors newbie

even the clock is stuck and hasnt changed for an 2 hours so i presume it has died! would it be best to download the update rather than doing it via software update?

5. JamesEsquire thread starter macrumors newbie

okay well i did a forced reset and it seems to be fine although it did seem to take a while to load up! hopefully all is welll .... it seems it has updated to 10.4.10 now

6. Macfanatic867 macrumors member

Glad to hear it worked out. OS X is really pretty resilient. I hope that you are enjoying using your now working and updated Macbook!