Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Hi, I just have a quick question.

If I were to buy a new Mac from the Apple store, as well as auto-enroll in Apple Care, would it use the purchasing Apple ID to do these things? (The online store requires you log in or create an Apple ID.) Or, would you be able to input a different Apple ID upon setting up the computer yourself? I want to order a birthday gift for my son, but do not want to ask for his apple ID password to tip him off.

Thanks!

Cala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Maybe it seems to be required because I am using the education store?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Or, would you be able to input a different Apple ID upon setting up the computer yourself?
You can buy with one Apple ID and have it setup with another. The computer does not come preconfigured with your Apple ID on it. You'll need to create one (or use an existing one) when setting it up for the first time.

Cala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks for the response.

Would the AppleCare be set up in the same way?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the response.

Would the AppleCare be set up in the same way?

If you buy applecare with the computer it will be tied to the computer and pre-registered. Technically it will be on the buyer's apple-id but that won't impact any warranty work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.