New MacBook at WWDC?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DrDan99, May 16, 2017.

1. DrDan99, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

DrDan99 macrumors newbie

DrDan99

This popped up on Mac Insider this PM. http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...-wwdc-2017-including-possible-air-pro-refresh . This basically says update all around including the Air and MBP.

I had decided I needed a MacBook but no urgent need several weeks ago after side by side of 12.9 iPad and the Macbook. I was going to buy after WWDC if no update, which I didn't believe was going to happen. Hope spring eternal but this report is so far off all other reports... I'm waiting the few weeks anyways. And will start research the Air which I thought was almost dead.

Link to original Bloomberg article: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...an-laptop-upgrades-as-microsoft-enters-market

Update... There is a thread on another Macrumors section I missed. https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pro-and-possibly-macbook-air-at-wwdc.2045958/

2. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I'm very excited for WWDC after today, my guess is you'll see refreshed MacBook and MacBook Pro both getting drops in price and killing off the Air

3. DrDan99 thread starter macrumors newbie

DrDan99

I believe you are probably right on all of that. A price drop in the rMB low end and dump the Air. It would make the whole line much more logical. Unless they want to do the Air with a complete update which I don't see.

But if they update the Air, I may check it out. A few age-related eye issues make me think the retina display doesn't do much for me. But the MBP13 weight the same #3. I do like the 2-pound idea for my "daily driver" and keep the 15 inch MBP2015 for the heavier blog work.

4. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

If they kept the Air it would be confusing especially My OCD would kill for a lineup of simply Macbook and Macbook Pro and then the iPad and iPad Pro. Anything in between is unnecessary clutter and confuses me and other consumers.

5. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Yay, finally some actual reporting on a MacBook update! WWDC hasn't had much hardware in recent years though, so let's hope this will actually happen this time around.

6. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

Well, the MBA DOES have 2 USB ports besides the charger, headphone and SD reader. I thought long and hard about getting the MacBook, but decided to go with the MS Surface Pro (discounted to $850). I intend to use the Surface mainly for road trips, but if it pulls it's own weight, I might part with my MBA 13".

7. DrDan99 thread starter macrumors newbie

DrDan99

Some OCD is good. It keeps the world organized.

I find the Air hanging around with old tech just odd. They should have merged the MBA and rMB before. I though the main "claim to fame" for the Air was weight and small size when it was introduced. The 11 inch is gone and it weights the same as the 13 inch MBP. Price point/marketing is the only reason the MBA still exists. Not a bad reason really. If they update it, a presence in the lower end is good. But I prefer they lower the price of the main line to that point.