New Macbook automatically boots out of sleep/stand-by mode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PWA, Feb 15, 2009.

1. PWA macrumors newbie

Hello, I've recently bought the new unibody MB.
    Love it, but my I have a problem that I can't seem to solve now.
    When I put my MB in stand-by mode (screen open) it automatically boots back on after 5-10 seconds.
    When I close the screen, I can hear (Harddisk is making some noise when it comes out off stand-by) it trying to reboot every 20 seconds.
    This being bad for battery life and possibly for my HDD too.
    I hope somebody can help me
    Thanks.

2. TaMereEnShorts macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat

have the old, black macbook and it keeps on going in and out of standy mode after I close the lid. Any suggestions?

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

There has to be some application or service that is interrupting the machine and waking it from sleep. In the System Preferences for Power/Energy Saver options, ethernet access can wake a machine from sleep, and then in there (or maybe in the Bluetooth options), a BT mouse/keyboard can wake it up, and then a regule wired USB mouse can also wake it up from sleep with the tiniest movement.

Try restarting your computer, not opening any applications, and then a few moments later putting it to sleep (if those above settings are disabled, or you have no mouse/bt connected and user access disabled through Sharing). If it does the same thing, then it's either system related or something possibly located in your Login Items folder.

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

check your console. it will give you the wake event code.

for instance, my girlfriend's MBP was getting a EHC1/EHC2 wake up event.

this had to do with using her monitor's USB ports as a hub. unplugging the monitor's USB fixed the problem.

5. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Are you using a Bluetooth Mouse? For the longest time I could not figure out why my wife's iBook would not stay asleep with the lid closed.

It would do the same thing you describe: Close the lid, system goes to sleep, light on the front starts to pulse, then the hard drive would spin up. The system would seem to wake from sleep then go back to sleep in a repeating cycle.

I found out it was because the bluetooth mouse was turned on and so it would continuously try to connect to the iBook waking it from sleep.