New Macbook - Back To My Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bonafide, Jan 10, 2008.

1. bonafide macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I just got a new Macbook for work. I already own an iMac at home and I am a dot Mac member. I understood that by using .Mac services I could instantly network my two computer and be able to access them anywhere/anytime.

I setup both computers to my .Mac membership and have made each of the specific sharing preferences (File Sharing, Printer Sharing, etc) enabled, along with the Back to my Mac settings.

The issue that I am having is that when both computers are active and on the internet (but on different networks; iMac on ethernet cable to internet at home, and Macbook on wireless network at work) I am sometimes able to see the opposite one and sometimes not.

For instances both my computers are on currently and connected to the internet. But when I open my finder to see my iMac there is no sharing tab and the iMac isn't listed anywhere. On the reverse side on my iMac I cannot see the Macbook either.

However, this isn't always the case because almost immediately after I set it all up I was able to access my iMac @ Home briefly. But when I tried to use the Screen sharing button it didn't work and said connection failed.

I have no way/access to the work network. It is very much an unsecured network requiring no password to access; much like a wireless network in a Starbucks, etc.

Does anyone have any experience in this topic? Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

2. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

This happens to me occasionally; a lot of times, you can get it to pick back up by going into System Preferences, .Mac, and signing out of .Mac then signing back in. BTMM is kinda flaky still, but it's gotten better since Leopard was first released.

3. bonafide thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

Opened a web browser and typed in:

vnc://0.0.0.0

and it opened up the screen sharing program and connected to my iMac without a hitch.

So now I know it cannot be the network/router issue.

I tried the disconnect/connect to .Mac and I still cannot see either machine.

4. Billy Bob macrumors regular

You just bought a macbook, for god sake return it while you still can

5. bonafide thread starter macrumors regular

6. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

He's assuming/guessing that there is going to be some big update/revamp/new model released at MacWorld next week.

Who knows? He may be right. So keep your options open.

I'm having problems with BTMM too. But I think it's a router issue.

Cheers.

7. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Is back 2 my mac supposed to work / show up from any network? Mine only shows up while on the same subnet. I thought / hoped that when it first came out it would work more like gotomypc where the mac somehow would keep the .mac account updated with the current ip address and show when that computer was online.

- James