New MacBook Battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michail, Nov 21, 2007.

1. michail macrumors member

My new SR MacBook just got delivered 10 minutes ago at my work :eek: . I think today I will be leaving the office earlier. It is my first ever Mac and I am so exited.

I was reading on the apple battery care (http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html) and they say: "...Be sure to fully charge your portable when you plug it in for the first time...". Do I need to calibrated it then too, or not?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yes. as soon as you get it just charge it up to full and leave it for a few hours. then discharge it to empty and leave it for a few hours and then charge it to full again.

3. VTeCMonKeY macrumors newbie

i just did this with my new mac book (got it yesterday, first ever mac) and it killed it...

could someone post their exact method for calibrating it including any do's and dont's?

I doubt i'll ever have the balls to do this again with my new macbook but it'd be nice to know if i did something wrong to kill it :(

4. koshper macrumors member

When they say leave it for a few hours they obviously mean do not disconnect from the power socket?

so lets say the battery takes 3 hours to charge, you just have to leave it plugged into the mains for at least 6 hrs?

is this correct?

5. VTeCMonKeY macrumors newbie

the way i interpretted the instructions (but obviously dont take my word for it as i'm the guy with a dead macbook :p :() was:

• charge fully + leave with ac adapter in for a further 2 hours.

• unplug from mains, and run the battery down (i used mine all evening then just left it open on the floor so it would go to sleep, then eventually run out completely and power down).

• plug back into mains (switching on the macbook is optional) and do not unplug until fully charged again.

thats how i read it... mine however never switched on again after fully discharging.