New macbook battery!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhu2, Nov 7, 2007.

1. jhu2 macrumors member

so i just got my macbook 3 days ago, and i downloaded coconut battery today. It said that my macbooks max battery charge is 4900mAh out of the original 5200 mAh. Is this normal for 2 days of use, not very heavily might i add. Also it says that my macbook is 5 weeks old. is there something odd about my macbook? should i take it back to apple? or am i being too paranoid? this is right after a calibration and its only at 7 cycles.

2. portuglish08 macrumors member

Same Here!?!? What To Do!!?!?!

I was going to post a topic on this also, and then I saw yours. I hope we get an answer. My question is similar to yours. I am only getting 3 1/2 Hours of battery time out of my brand new SR macbook battery. All I'm doing is searching the web. E-mail, macrumors, things like that, nothing that would cause it to use a lot of battery. What should I do?:(

3. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

If your running Leopard....coconut battery dont work propperly in Leopard......

4. sebast1anc macrumors member

Your macbook wasn't born the first time you turned it on, it was built in a factory 5 weeks ago. Thats why its 5 weeks old.

5. jhu2 thread starter macrumors member

Ah that would make sense, is istat correct? also my system preference menu also tells me that my battery has 5109 out of 5200 mAh left after 8 cycles. i think i'm being a little paranoid heh.

yea i understand that my little macbook wasn't born the first day i bought it so yea the 5 weeks makes sense.

6. WillMak macrumors 6502a

you should have over 5200 for now. something is fishy with your battery.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

8. portuglish08 macrumors member

What are your settings and what are you doing? I'm only getting 3 1/2 to 4. Should I call apple?

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Hmmm... something's up with your battery. I just calibrated mine yesterday and I have 88 cycles with a capacity of 5412mAh on a 5 month old macbook.

10. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

6 hours is probably doing extremely light work, with BT turned off, brightness cranked down. I keep my brightness at 3/4, usually run safari, acquisition, MS Office (or iWork) and iTunes, and I usually get a hair over 4.5 hrs. If you're only getting 2 hours, THEN worry.

11. kylep6190 macrumors member

Hey, be happy with 3.5 hours...most PCs of the same price as a macbook will be lucky if they get 3 hours, let alone 4...and that is with the "high capacity" battery

12. gojaromeiginla macrumors member

I'm getting the other extreme. Sort of. Not in battery time. I'm about 4, maybe 4.5 hours per charge. I just downloaded Coconut Battery, and it's saying that in the 6 months and 125 battery cycles my Mac has been active, my capacity has grown by almost 200 mAh. 5392 from 5200 to be exact. That's really weird, because I use my Macbook almost every minute of the day (That's an exaggeration, but not a big one). Anyway, just thought I'd point this out. My point is that the battery can probably go either way, and it depends on the battery itself.

13. oligore macrumors member

oligore

I've heard about this battery calibrating. Does it work and how do you do it anyway?

14. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I was curious about this too.. Is this referring to apples article about charging, running till almost dead and then recharging?

I use mine as a desktop 99% of the time so I removed the battery and just run off the power cord.

15. edcoche macrumors regular

edcoche

So I just got my macbook today, plugged in the power cord, let it fully charge, and I've been messing around with it for awhile now--several hours. Anyways, should I let it drain completely and turn itself off or will I be allright plugging it back in and recharging the battery?

16. vm7118 macrumors regular

calibrating more than once a month or so is highly overrated. most people know nothing of calibrating batteries, yet their laptops last them forever with little reduced capacity.

still, we are not most users, so if it makes you feel better to calibrate once a month go ahead and do it. apple says you should charge it fully (you can use it during this time), run it down fully (you obviously can use it, unless you want to wait a loooonnng time for it to discharge by itself), let it enter sleep mode by itself because of a low battery (won't let you use it), let it sleep for at least 5 hours(ditto, don't charge it, just let it sleep), then charge it fully (you can use it again during this time).