New macbook beachballs at times?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gadgetgirl85, Oct 30, 2008.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

My new ulu macbook sometimes takes awhile to load and beachballs at times. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I notice the beachball once in a while, but not very often. My alu macbook seems to load very quickly, but then again I'm coming from using Windoze which took forever to boot up!

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

4. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

Beachballing is usually caused by hard drive delay. You've got a fast CPU and lots of RAM in there, but you're still bottlenecked by the hard drive, and when the OS has to load big or fragmented files you're going to have to wait a few seconds.

There isn't much you can do this short of replacing your hard drive wholesale with a faster one.

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Actually I'm finding it's mostly when I'm using camino the browser. I use it on my imac and it works fine but I'm finding if I try and do too much it beachballs for a little while and sometimes as I'm typing in a url. Also sometimes if I'm just scrolling the menu it will beachball for about 20 seconds

6. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

Sorry if this doesn't relate to your problem, but I had a similar experience on my Aluminum MacBook. My trackpad was flaky at times, and I got a beach ball occasionally when I would wake from sleep (I have password enabled on wake). It would hang without the password prompt ever showing up. Other programs (Software Update, etc.) had the same sort of problems.

I did some digging and found that some other people had experienced similar problems when they migrated from another Mac. I did a clean install, moved all my files back, and reinstalled programs manually and everything seems to be working much better now.

Again, sorry if this is completely different than your problem.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This could be an issue specific to Camino. Maybe someone with experience with this browser will know. If it's not happening regularly with other applications and the pauses are brief, I would not sweat it. You could check if your hard drive is set to sleep during periods of inactivity. Spinning it back up causes a short delay, represented by a beachball.

8. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

How would I check? and Yoda, I did actually do a clean install and seems a little better than it was

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If it happens, you'll know. Not sure how else to answer the question.

Reinstalling, bad idea. You should never have to reinstall OSX.

10. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I just did an install as I thought it might fix some of the "beachballing" uggh. Can't I ever get a non fruity macbook. Sent the last new one back because of a battery fault

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not convinced that you have anything wrong with your Mac.

12. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I suppose I am comparing to the last one I had which had the battery fault. Ran so flawlessly other than the problem with the battery dying fast

13. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Don't listen to those who say nothing is wrong!

I had this same exact problem and it continued to get worse. I thought it was Minefield that was slowing it down and screwing around with my 2.0 alubook, until it stopped really working last night. Took it to the genius bar today and got a brand new laptop, but lost ALL of my stuff I had created in the past two weeks. Not a huge deal, but still a pain. So... don't assume its your fault. Take it to the genius bar and have them look it over. You might end up walking out with a new laptop. Also, I was kind of pissed that I didn't get anything for free (sleeve, or whatever) for my troubles... I realize Apple is not responsible for loss of data or thats what they say, but really? An 11 day old macbook ***** the bed and you give me no sympathy? Anyone have any ideas of how I could get something as a "sorry" from Apple? Write an email to support? I was hoping to pick up an Incase sleeve for FREE.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If a problem is described, solutions will be suggested.

15. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Yep, mine is being returned on Monday and Apple will send a replacement (ordered through the online store)