New MacBook Boot Camp (Vista) Sound Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anish3232, Oct 29, 2008.

1. anish3232 macrumors member

Anyone with Boot Camp installed having sound issues? Sometimes the sound gets choppy. When playing a song in windows media player every minute or so the song gets choppy for 5-6 seconds. Startup Sound is also choppy and sounds like the speakers are popping and cracking.

I also tried to fix by getting the latest audio drivers which did not fix the problem.

2. pw1388 macrumors member

3. anish3232 thread starter macrumors member

4. PresentACat macrumors regular

I get the odd pop every few minutes when watching DVDs in Vista. I haven't tried much stuff yet but it isnt looking good.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Same here. I read something about changing sound output to 16bit, but that didn't help. I just turn the sound off in Vista. I don't tend to spend much time in Vista, let alone listen to music or watch movies. OSX is so much better for that stuff IMO.

6. PresentACat macrumors regular

That is all well and good, but Apple are getting on my tits with their "make-do" products.
    Their support of Vista is useless - just look at the horrific trackpad support!

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm not disagreeing with you, but how do you know it's Apple's fault and not Microbloat's?

8. PresentACat macrumors regular

I don't know really, just a hunch since I run several Vista rigs, x64 and x86 which NEVER EVER crash, never give popping sound from any of their various sound cards (integrated, discrete cards, default drivers, proper drivers).

I run a Vista rig on my Macbook and I have a ****** erratic trackpad (with a bootcamp command console that doesn't care what you want - 2 finger gesture for Apple anyone?), ****** popping sound and so forth.

I don't know, but I think this might not just be an unhappy coincidence.

9. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

10. pw1388 macrumors member

Um your site is in German or something. can u translate what it does for us.

Thanks

11. big duck macrumors member

Kind of unrelated. On my Imac on XP last year I had a similar problem.

I googled for a solution, and there was a plugin I could download.

12. pippins100 macrumors newbie

Hi there.

You will find that the driver for Airport Wireless card Apple currently supply with BootCamp is not compatible with Vista, or certainly Vista 64 bit in my case. You need to install a later driver from version tracker onto your Windows drive in order to make the fix. I use Mac Pro with their Airport extreme internal WLAN card and Vista 64 bit on drive 2 and found exactly the same issue. If you DISABLE the wireless card, you will find that the sound returns to it's best quality. Once I discovered this and got fed up with a trailing ethernet wire feeding internet, I downloaded a much better driver. See this link for details:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=459152&highlight=popping+audio

Good luck locating the website concerned. I just typed in the driver version number I list on the link into Google, and "presto" there was the website.

I can't understand why Apple do not issue an upgrade driver for bootcamp via internet, but then I suppose they will then admit to supporting Windows!!

I hope this will sort out your problem as I can vouch for the severe irritation caused by trying to listen to good music and being affronted by glitches, pops, missing data stream every random moment!

Incidentally, you don't need to install a new audio driver as per the link, as that is not the cause of the problem

13. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Ok so I downloaded the wlan zip file from above, but when I go to update the driver it says that mine is up to date. The bad thing is that I still get the popping sound. Don't know where to go from here... :confused:

14. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

vista antilag helped my popping sound.

all my sounds from fallout3 are okay now :)

15. pippins100 macrumors newbie

Attn. Staccato83:

All this refers to operating in Vista mode:

First, unzip (expand) the zip file so that it creates a folder. Note what you have called that folder (e.g. WLAN UPDATE or similar) and where it is. (usually your download folder). Go to control panel. Double click Device manager. Click permission to continue if it asks you. Look down the list and click the + next to network adaptors. Right click on Broadcom 802.11n, then click Properties in the sub-window exposed. Click Driver. Click Update Driver. Click "Browse my computer for driver software". Click "Browse..." and select the folder that you created (and named, if you chose to) by your unzipping earlier on. Click OK. Click "next" and then follow any further instructions to let the PC update your driver to version 4.170.25.19

YOu MUST follow this procedure, otherwise the computer will look for itself for drivers that it has to hand, and that will unfortunately cause it to use the "no-good" driver that is hidden in BootCamp, which on turn will tell you that you already have up-to-date driver installed.

When you are done, you can check the version to confirm it is 4.170.25.19 by following the beginning to where you have clicked Driver. The little page will tell you what version you now have.

I hope that will help you out, and apologise if I made it too simplistic. Fiddling around with drivers is not necessarily for the faint-hearted!!, but I am sure you should be able to follow my instructions OK.

Good Luck.

16. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

I'm just curious about this but does Windows under Parallels/VMware have the same trackpad and sound issues?

17. Mercellus macrumors regular

No, as it's running through an emulation layer. It's only when using Boot Camp (running Windows natively) when the issues with the sound occur.

Keep in mind that the MacBook line-up aren't the only ones having issues with sound in Windows Vista - Dell, HP, and other manufacturers have the same issues with sound popping and skipping. It's related to the sound stack that Microsoft changed in Windows Vista (which is more of a derivative of the sound system on the XBOX).

18. anish3232 thread starter macrumors member

Downloading audio drivers now and will report after installing.

19. anish3232 thread starter macrumors member

Do NOT install the driver provided above. My sound stopped working and took me nearly a hour to go back to my driver that came with bootcamp.

20. yatman macrumors member

Whew

I'm a first time Mac user and I too installed Vista on my new unibody macbook and am having the same cracking sound issue. I hear it when it boots into windows with the theme sound and most times playing anything. I've updated the HD audio drivers from www.realtek.com and still having the problem.

21. anish3232 thread starter macrumors member

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The real problem is the sharing of our CPU resources for everything the system runs. I only get choppy sound in gaming, but if i reduce the video quality by 1 step, the sound returns back to normal.

Our sound card, video card, controllers, etc. are all shared by the CPU, which does take quite a bit of resources.

It happens to me, regardless of wireless or not.

23. yatman macrumors member

Anti-Lag

The following URL is broken: http://www.codecase.de/en/vista-anti...l-v1-1-1-setup

If I could speak German, I could figure out the deal. I was able to find Anti-Lag through other means but it did take a while. It seems to have alleviated some of the issues. It's definitely not a fix but more of a bandage.