New MacBook Bootcamp issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kage207, Aug 3, 2008.

1. kage207 macrumors 6502a

So my friend got a new MacBook and I just got mine a week ago or so. Anyways, can you format the partition with Windows Vista on it? It is having problems and is asking for a password when we haven't set a password on it. Is there any way to format that partition with Windows Vista? On his computer not mine. Mine works just fine.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You must delete what is on it before you can resize it, but you can put Vista on it fresh.

3. kage207 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok... I guess I should re-explain. I put windows vista on my friends new MacBook the other day so he can play some pc games on it. So I partitioned it and put on vista. It has restarted without asking for a password when logging on vista. Now it is asking for a password. So I've tried no password and his passwords that he does and they didn't work. Odd thing is him or me didn't set a password. So can we reformat that partition of the hdd without logging on windows vista meaning through mac osx?

4. kage207 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Is the computer asking for the password before Windows boots or is this the login screen. If it's before boot, your friend needs the EFI password; if it's during login then just don't put a password and login if no password was created.

6. kage207 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is the login screen on windows and we've tried just hitting enter but it says invaild password.

7. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Okay, just so we understand this clearly...

Windows is asking for a password, and you guys don't know why, and now you want to know if it's possible to wipe the Windows partition and start fresh, yes?

As the others said, you can delete the Vista partition and start fresh. Also, it should be possible to simply re-format the Vista partition through Disk Utility. As for why Windows wants a password, I'm pretty sure Vista requires you to create a password when setting up the initial administrator account.

8. kage207 thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is correct. So if I were on mac os x I could just formart it in disk utility?

9. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

No, you'll actually want to use Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder. This will guide you through removing the Windows partition without touching the Mac stuff. You will want to make a backup of your Mac partition just in case, though.

10. kage207 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already had it partitioned. I just formated the partition windows using Disk Utilities and it works great now. Thanks for the Disk Utility.

11. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

No you can use Bootcamp to delete the Vista partition and then create a new partition and continue on as if you were setting up Vista for the first time.

12. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

That works too. I was under the impression you asking me how to eliminate the Windows partition completely and start over from scratch (which is what you can do with the Boot Camp assistant).