New MacBook buy from uk retail or online

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by insertjokehere, Oct 20, 2008.

1. insertjokehere macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    Ie just sold my Santa Rosa MacBook from Nov 2007 in anticipation of buying a new MacBook. Unfortunately my local retail store (Meadowhall Sheffield) and further afield (Trafford Centre Manchester) have sold out, as well as the UK Online store saying 'Ships in 7 Business Days'. This indicates to me that the new MacBook is in low supply throughout the UK. In light of me sending my old MacBook off to my buyer tomorow, what do you guys recommend i do to get a new MacBook ASAP, order online now and wait or keep ringing up retail every couple of days to see if they have any stock? I'm also a Higher Education shopper but this shouldn't make a difference to where I buy from

TIA,

Lawrence

2. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

I think it makes difference on the warranty period. Check it out with your retail store. If you buy it online you get 1+2 years limited warranty . ( not apple care which means no phone support etc but YES to hardware stuff )

3. insertjokehere thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive got a previous MacBook from retail and the warranty is essentially the same in retail as it is from the online store. What I was meaning to ask about is the availability of the new MacBook at retail and online and which would be my best bet to get the MacBook sooner, whether i should wait and keep ringing up retail shops to see if they have stock, or to place an order online now and waiting for the time it takes for them to get more stock and then deliver

4. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

So did you get 3 years? ( Reminder: We are talking about the Higher Education store )

5. insertjokehere thread starter macrumors newbie

I got three years when i bought my Nov 2007 MacBook from retail, and paid extra 47 pounds to get the 3 years of phone support too this was using my student card to get the 14-15% Higher Education discount. I was just wondering about the quickest way to get hold of the new MacBooks, through retail or online. Ive been told i'll be able to get a new MacBook with discount one even though its slightly under a year, given that they do discount per educational year rather than a year since the last purchase

6. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Then I suggest you to call retail shops every single day .

I called Apple Store Online today and the lady told me I probably would receive the Macbook or MBP first week of November if I had placed my order today ( although the website says 7 days )

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I could not be bothered to wait till early Nov to get mine. I alos get an HE discount and called the stores down south. I then rushed down and got a stock MBP 2.4/apple care/printer/ipod and arm band all for £1465.85.

So go to the store and ask them to keep one aside, I could not justify going up to the 2.53.

8. insertjokehere thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers guys, i'll keep doing that then. Looks like the nearest ones to me are:
    Sheffield Meadowhall, Manchester Arndale, Manchester Trafford, Birmingham Bullring, Liverpool.

I'll just have to keep badgering them!