Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
I just went to Apple website and if I'm not mistaken, it says that the new Macbook now support resolution up to 2560 by 1600 (30" dual-link)? Can someone confirm this please?

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
yeah this new display port thingy is actually much more advanced than DVI and HDMI

theres your tradeoff for firewire

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
but how much is it really in the grand scheme of things after purchase of a $1300-$2800 notebook plus a $1200 display

budkid

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Apple just needs to come out with the HDMI adapter. That would be nice using a Sony Bravia as a monitor.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Apple just needs to come out with the HDMI adapter. That would be nice using a Sony Bravia as a monitor.

it would be really big with really low resolution for the size

you can easily adapt a DVI port to HDMI

display port is the connector of the future

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Initially, I was upset that the dual-link dvi adapter for mini displayport is $100, then I read something interesting on the displayport wiki:

wiki said:
Dual-mode DisplayPort is capable of backward compatibility with single link DVI/HDMI (active converter adapters or dongles are required for dual link DVI and analog VGA).

emphasis is mine. It seems like the VGA dongle and the dual-link DVI dongle require active processing instead of a simple pin-out change... that could explain the price difference.

tonie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Does anyone know if this will work with the older macbook or just the new macbook?

but how much is it really in the grand scheme of things after purchase of a $1300-$2800 notebook plus a $1200 display

I don't know about you but money is money to me and $100 is a lot of money. Apple used to include mini adapter and controller for free but now they will charge as long as they have a chance. Now you can't even use it for external monitor unless you buy one of these. That's ridiculous.

Accident

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
I understand that you feel Apple is 'nickel and diming' its customers with adaptors, but from my experience working at an Apple reseller, the vast majority of users leave these adaptors in the box after they have opened it (most people never connect their laptops to an external monitor, we have to remember that the MacRumors users are not 'most people'), and this is why I think Apple have decided to stop including them.

If Apple were to include adaptors, which ones should they include - all of them? just in case you need VGA and I need DVI and someone else needs Dual-link DVI.

I'm not defending their policy, and maybe a compromise would be to offer a voucher with each Mac for one free adaptor or a discount off the dual-link DVI, then people get the cable they need (if they need one at all) and Apple aren't wasting money and resources on components that stay in the box most of the time.
After all, Apple seem to be committed to reducing waste with their products.

That said, my G4 PowerBook came with DVI>VGA and S-Video>RCA and both have been very useful over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.