New macbook, can't find IP address

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Alexandrafe13, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Alexandrafe13 macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I have just bought a macbook, my internet connection at home is wireless however it requires the IP address of each computer using the wireless network to be entered into my wireless account, just an extra security measure. My new macbook has never been connected to the internet as i can not find the IP address i have tried applications/utlities/network utility and there is just a blank space where it says IP address
    i have also tried System prefences/network and there is no IP address there either..
    any tips suggestions? thanks
    alex

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think you're confused about IP address vs MAC address. An IP address has the form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and computers do not have a built in IP address since they obtain an IP address from the router when they first connect. This is part of the DHCP protocol.

You are probably looking for the MAC address, which is hard wired onto each system's ethernet/wireless port. This address is what your router needs to know and it is unique to your computer. To find the MAC address, go to "about this Mac" and click more info then look at Network settings.

3. Alexandrafe13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I have found my mac address.. Now just need to figure out how to connect my nintendo ds to the internet!

Thanks again

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

A bit off-topic here, but that is very easy to do. It's basically almost the same as connecting your MacBook to your WiFi.