new macbook... carrying around???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jamays00, Oct 22, 2008.

1. jamays00 macrumors member

hey all, so I just got a new aluminum macbook and I was wondering if when I walk to and from class (about 15 min) and around campus, if I should turn off the computer or just shut it. I do have a backpack with a sleeve, but is there any extra risk in not turning it off?:confused:

thanks!

2. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Just close the notebook and let it sleep. It's better than booting it up every time. Perfectly reliable.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I used to worry about that too, but I was told that on sleep mode your hd doesn't spin, therefore it is completely safe to walk around with it like that...

5. Thetics macrumors regular

just be careful not to leave it in ur bag while its in sleep more. i did that with an mbp before and forgot it was in sleep mode, i opened it a few hours later to wuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrring fans and my battery was drained, i guess it got hot and the fans were trying to compensate for the heat since it was in a sleeve and the heat had nowhere to go.

wow.. did that make sense? long day:(

6. priller macrumors regular

If it's in sleep mode it wont get hot, it's fine to leave it sleeping for days. If the fans were running it wasn't sleeping.

7. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

i was thinking the same thing. When i put mine on sleep it NEVER makes a peep.

8. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

+1 for just closng it and letting it go to sleep.

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah if it's sleeping, there should be no fans going crazy because there should be nothing clogging up or using up the cpu..

10. JBazz macrumors 6502

I have had a few problems with him in the sleep mode. Never had a problem with the black macbook.

Put it in sleep mode with batter close to 100%, 3 hours later when to use it and it was extremely difficult to wake and the battery was drained. It was also hot when I got it out of my bag.

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah, i don't think it was actually in sleep mode when this happened

12. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I always just close my Blackbook between classes and such, no problems.

13. JBazz macrumors 6502

Yeah, but why? It isnt like I am unfamiliar with macs and did something out of the ordinary.

Plus, it has been difficult to wake from sleep a couple of times.

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

oh no no I'm not saying you are unfammliar with mac..ehhe I am probably a newbie compared to you for all i know (I am very new to macs) but what i am saying it's that as far as i understand when the system it's on sleep mode, everything its stopped and stored as-is, therefore there should be nothing using your HD or your cpu at all, which it's why the fans would come on and killing your battery right? Maybe an app that you are running that still runs while on sleeping mode?...:confused: I don't know just my understanding of it, i may be wrong (usually am) but just doenst feel like it this time...

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Not to be Captain Obvious, but you all do realize when you close the Macbook it sleeps. Even if you don't close it the MB's all have the motion sensing detection so under acceleration the HDD stops spinning.

Ultimately you can pretty much run to class with the thing open and it would still be ok (I know I'm going to catch hell for saying that).

16. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

lol, i walk up and down the stairs with mine all the time, cause im usually torrent-ing and don't want to cut off the connection wen it goes to sleep

17. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

When I'm d/ling stuff and don't want to cut it off I usually use Insomnia and close it, but I wouldn't do this for too long.

18. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

make it a sleeper!:p

the only benefit of shutting it down is the lack of battery drain