New Macbook Cracked Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ronalsk, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ronalsk macrumors newbie

i'm seriously on the verge of tears! i bought a new black macbook 3 months ago, i love it!! i own an imac which i've had for 3 years with no problems. anyway, i opened my macbook today and used it for an hour, put it to sleep, then come back to use it and notice what appears to be a long strand of hair. at this point i'm not even thinking it could be a crack since i've never mishandled the notebook in any way, shape or form. everytime i would flip the screen to put the computer to sleep and opened it back again, the line kept getting worse. i made an appointment at my local store and got the 'any cracks are not covered under warranty' story. can i just tell you how careful i am with my apple products? i've hardly moved this baby around since i've owned it. i seriously have no idea what could've caused the crack and now i'm pretty much s.o.l. unless i want to shell out around $700.
    i am beyond frustrated and have read of so many other people with the same problem. has anyone had a similar experience?

2. thesnowman16 macrumors member

thesnowman16

ring apple. the phone support is better than there instore support.

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Sorry for your mishap. It is ok, people generally don't post the truth on these forums.

On another thread someone was saying how his MBP with a badly crushed corner is of no fault (or negligence) of his own and how Apple should fix it as a cosmetic issue.

Screens don't crack mysteriously for no reason, you must have applied too much warping on it.

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

5. PCRanger macrumors regular

My friend's cat sat on her laptop when the lid was closed, and the screen cracked...do you have any pets? :eek:

6. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I would suggest just giving Apple a call directly, see if this might be an occurring problem already. Good luck!

7. point665 macrumors regular

Maybe the casing was somehow warped which put too much pressure on it?

8. tekmate macrumors newbie

I feel for you. I once let a paperback book go 6 inches above a laptop who would think that would be an issue? I heard the LCD crack didn't even have to open it to know it was ruined. I have also had a laptop that had been dropped off a bench about 3 feet in height and survived with only minor scrapes.

9. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

It's not exactly a flimsy notebook that breaks easily, but its not a panasonic toughbook and it doesent have tank armor neither.

10. Clarence macrumors regular

My mbp has taken not one, but TWO dives off of my cali king bed. I only heard the impact, I was sleeping both times.....:rolleyes:

I now have a mysterious dent on the passenger side, but other than that NO DAMAGE thank god. I am now much more careful.

I do believe that the MBP is more sturdy than it looks. My T60 was tougher, but it was a windows machine, and who needs that headache?:D