New Macbook Creaking Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newmacguy1986, Feb 11, 2010.

1. newmacguy1986 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I just got a new Macbook Pro 15" for Christmas, so its only about a month and a half old. I carry it around in my Backpack to school. Usually there are a lot of books and stuff in my backpack with my macbook, and my macbook is usually up against my back. I just noticed that when I took my macbook out of my backpack and grabed it with one hand, thumb on top and fingers on bottom that the bottom pannel (the side i always put against my back) is bending upward with the pressure. It makes a clicking noise, and I can feel it move up, only perhaps a millimeter or so. Is this something I need to get looked at by apple, or is this normal? Thanks!

2. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

That back panel is very thin, so changes in temperature can cause it to expand and contract, causing it to creak at times. My 13" MBP also exhibits similar behavior. I found that readjusting the tightness of the 10 screws holding the panel on has helped alleviate the problem. The creaking seems to be most pronounced when the screws are excessively tightened, but in your case it may be that some of the screws are bit loose. Find a 00 Philips driver and make sure they are all secure. Tighten just enough so that you being to feel resistance - don't crank them down as hard as you can.

3. newmacguy1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I loosen them all and then retighten them? it feels like when I pick it up the middle of the bottom plate is bending up and im afraid it is perhaps hitting some of the internal hardware. It just bends in and then springs right back once the pressure is taken away.

4. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Sure, you could do that. The other issue might be that since the 15" and 17" models have more surface area than the 13", the back panel might be more prone to flexing. I haven't opened up a 15", so I don't know if there are internal supports that abut the panel and help prevent this, but it may just be a characteristic resulting from the increased size of the 15" and 17" models.