New macbook defective

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by willy16, Dec 29, 2007.

1. willy16 macrumors newbie

I got this Macbook on Christmas day and I had a case crack. So apple replaces the whole top case. I got home and the gap is still there. So today I went to apple store and said the whole case has had to be replaced and my macbook will be gutted. Also the plastic near the vent is not aligned. The genius said you need to send out to apple care. I'm like hell no this is new Macbook and I left the store. Should i demand a new macbook??? Help me I want to know what should i do?
    THANKS

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I had cracking problems with mine. I dropped it off at the Apple Store at about 8:45 on a monday night. I had it back on my doorstep at 8:20 on Wednesday morning. They're not going to give you a new machine for two cracking problems. Three is the minimum for a replacement and I don't even know if cosmetic issues apply to that rule.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you're within the 14 day period, you can ask for an exchange.

4. willy16 thread starter macrumors newbie

my parent's bought it off a reseller and i can't exchange it. I'm really mad since I had a Sony Vaio for 3 years and never had these problems. I only had this macbook for 3 days it took them 2 days to replace a top case and they didn't fix. I had made 3 trips to the apple store this week

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

That rots. Yeah, I'd ask for a new one, and if denied, would send it out for Apple Care. A problematic Macbook isn't going to get better over time; it's only going to get worse unless it's fixed. Alternatively, if that's too much of a hassle, you could ask for your money back, and use the cash to either buy another MB, or a different computer. That's probably what I'd do if I couldn't afford to wait for however long it took to send and receive the MB back from Apple Care.

6. rhyndu macrumors regular

One word: Yes.