New Macbook, Dell Studio, Sony FW or Hp Pavilion

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gan6660, Aug 28, 2008.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Ok so my 1.5 year old Toshiba Satellite broke and I need a new notebook and I have narrowed it down between a new Macbook, a 17in Dell Studio, Sony Fw, or Hp Pavilion DV5-1003NR. I dont like the White Macbook and the black is more money for less than the pc's i picked. All 3 pc's would have Blu ray and HD screen so I think there the better choice. Right? I wont make any decisions until after next month but the Hp is $750 with Blu ray, 15.4 HD screen, 3gb ram, 160gb hd, finger print reader, HDMI, PCMIA remote and more

2. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I don't have experience with the Sony or HP, but if Blu-ray and 15.4 HD screens are deal breakers then don't get the MacBook.

The main draw of getting a Mac is using OS X, not just comparing specs vs. price.

However, if you are waiting until after next month, there are rumors that new MacBooks will be announced in Sept. Maybe the upgraded machines would be worth your while.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Sounds like you made up your mind. Go with the PC.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

The HP sounds like the perfect choice for you.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If you get a chance, try to use all three. Dell stores, Sony stores, and maybe BB or CircuitCity might have the HP. Will give you an idea for the feel of the system before you buy.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

8. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I have tried all three and I like the Dell for the slot load drive, touch media controls and HD screen.
    Sony for the Blu ray and big screen
    HP for price, HD screen, and mirror like body.

I have had a Dell desktop and I have heard Sony is great but the HP sounds to good to be true it has, HD screen 15.4in, 3gb ram, 160gb, Blu ray, Finger print reader and more.

I have tried Vista on my brothers laptop and I kind of like it.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Its not hardware that makes a computer. Software makes a computer. You can chuck as much hardware into a computer as you like, it doesn't make it a better computer at all.

Bare that in mind when making your purchase ;)

10. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

lets hope mosx stays away from this thread :D
    If you like vista, and you want blu ray, then the MB isn't for you.
    personally i'd go with the Sony, much sleeker

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

but in saying that, you can run vista on the MB just fine... (but no BR player)

12. mosx macrumors 65816

Software makes the computer, and thats the reason to stay away from the MacBook ;)

For $750 that HP is a STEAL.

It has the AMD 3200 IGP as well, which means it has the best integrated graphics on the market (better than the X4500, almost as good as a GeForce 8400M GS), it has blu-ray. It can handle up to 8GB(!!) of RAM.

You can play modern games at low/medium settings, high definition movies, you can upgrade it to more RAM than it would ever realistically take advantage of (by the time you need 8GB you'll want a faster processor and GPU anyway).

Yeah go for the HP. Definitely.

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

oh great.. He found it..

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Sounds like the HP is what makes most sense for you. Enjoy it and tell us about your experience. :)

15. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I'd get the dell, Cheap isn't the best. I would not get an AMD laptop intel has vastly superior chips especially in Laptops. you will get longer battery life and better performance.

16. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Yeah I think I am going to get the HP check back around October I think I should have it by then and I put a review up on here.

17. FloridaBSD macrumors newbie

18. cosx macrumors newbie

You wish :D

19. chrisiw macrumors regular

Agree!..... With a mac its the system u pay for, but having said that, i think that apple does need to improve the MacBook, the sharp edge is a joke, its hard to believe that it was not noticed when designed.

20. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The only thing that puts me off the Macbook is the sharp edges

21. chrisiw macrumors regular

Yes its such a pity, as I think the keyboard is the best I have used, but after 30mins or so, the sharp edge really sucks

22. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Got the Hp

hey everyone i got the Hp and its great it has the futuristic feel and mirror dvd touch controls. i love the blu ray and HDMI will come in handy soon. I like the way the hp logo lights up like the one on the macbook air

23. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Ok Bye, Bye. Off you go to the HP forum.

24. radionickhead macrumors regular

I realize it's silly to come to mac forums and ask PC related questions, but the guy was just asking for help..I've found that most mac users are really up their own a** . You're not better than someone because he you use a mac.
    "The pc is the correct choice for you" blablalbalb
    pompus loser
    I'm pissed off now

25. MoeOz macrumors member

Congrats :) , u got the right thing indeed , as a normal user (music-web surfing-movies & some pics etc..) the mac osx isn't a must , vista is going okay . u got the best spec's for your money , yes mac is sleeker but that's doesn't justify the price ;) , u r good to go & u can come back and ask bout anything anytime for some help indeed :) .