New Macbook designs - what'll they be, and what'll they COST!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by halcyo, Jul 19, 2008.

1. halcyo macrumors newbie

Hey folks, I'm new here, and I hope you don't mind me joining in on your discussions!

So we have all these rumors/hopes/dreams/expectations of what the new Macbook designs might be, both cosmetically AND technically, and I was just wondering what might happen to the pricepoints for all these new models! Of course it's all speculation, but is it usual for Apple to sort of introduce the newest 'revisions' or 'redesigns' at the same prices as the current models, or do you think prices will go UP?

I'm looking into getting an Apple laptop, and was nearly ready to buy a Macbook, but now with all this rumormongering about pretty new aluminum cases (the current ones are fugly, ESPECIALLY that damn white toy lookin' model) and improved specs, I am seriously considering holding out for the updated models. However, I'm hoping there won't be a big price hike...

What are the chances of prices going DOWN on the new versions - like the iPhone!? It would be fantastic marketing on Apple's part to lower prices if they can swing it!

So basically, what do you think the new Macbooks will be cosmetically and technically, and what PRICES do you foresee them goin' for!? Hopefully we'll get some interesting discussion on this one!

halcyo

2. archi17 macrumors regular

I think that the prices will stay the same, and the speeds will go up slightly. Because a lot of people will not be happy if the prices go up, and Apple does not usually put the prices up

3. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

prices will remain the same but they will be in an aluminum. same type of material apple is moving to. strange they went a step back on the iphone from a aluminum back to a plastic back... but oh well...

The macbooks and macbook pros will look the same, the macbook may look a bit more like the air. new macbooks will be around 25 % thinner then the current macbooks. LED backlet displays, hopefully a round hindge. as those keep the screen safe. apple can do it with out making it look ugly i know they can..

4. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Is there any reasoning behind this, beyond wishful thinking? If indeed they managed to trim off a quarter of the thickness, this would mean a noticeable drop in weight:)

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unless you work for Apple, I wouldn't state such things as if they were fact. I think it would be a huge mistake for Apple to move to all aluminum. It's just not a sturdy material. Even if it does happen, I'm glad I got my Penryn BlackBook. I need plastic for durability. If I wanted aluminum, I'd buy a MBP.

6. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Well, aluminum is definitely sturdier than plastic ... so they should definitely move the MacBooks over to aluminum.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. We don't know that they're being redesigned.
    2. Prices stay the same across refreshes.

8. muldul macrumors 6502

I believe they will stay the same price, I'm not sure if i will prefer the aluminum to my blackbook though.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Uhh no..It isn't. Drop an MBP and a MacBook from the height of a foot and let me know which one still looks the same afterward. The MBP will either be dented or bent. The MB won't. Aluminum is a soft metal. It dents and bends easily. I've seen it happen too many times at work.

I've already dropped my BlackBook twice- looks the same. Before this I had an iBook G4 that I dropped 9 times. It still works perfectly and I sold it to a co worker. Can't do that with an aluminum laptop and still have it be useful. Not gonna happen.

10. NintendoChick macrumors regular

You know what would really make my day? Colored MacBooks, if a redesign was happening. Sort of like the iPod Nano. If they must go aluminum, do It in style! I would really want to see a black one (yes, I love the BlackBooks)

HUGE speculation, and very unlikely, but wouldn't it be neat?

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Why wait for Apple?

12. NintendoChick macrumors regular

Because it's $450 :(

Oh, and the white keys and track pad look really wierd.

Nifty Find, though...