New macbook: Did battery life go up or down?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pufftissue, Oct 16, 2008.

1. pufftissue macrumors regular

New macbook, what's the word on battery life (please state conditions for test)

Thanks!

2. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

They said the LED screen improves battery life by like 1. 5hours, however after day one i havent noticed any difference between it and my dads whitebook

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Well I was watching Jon4lakers on Youtube. He got a new MacBook, 2.4ghz model. He said he got 5 hours of battery, with bluetooth/airport on and full brightness of the display.

4. pufftissue thread starter macrumors regular

I 100% with all my heart don't believe that. I simply don't. I want to, but I can't. I bet a brand new macbook pro that that doesn't happen. No notebooks with a 45 wH battery and the parts the macbook has can achieve this on FULL brightness.

I'd be cool with 3.5 on full brightness.

5. pufftissue thread starter macrumors regular

From PC Mag: Battery life may be worse for new macbook

Battery performance will take a slight hit because of the nVidia graphics. On top of that, the 45-Wh battery is smaller than the one from the original MacBooks (55-Wh). MobileMark 2007, an industry leading battery test, reported a score of 3 hours and 10 minutes on the Aluminum Macbook. That's 31 minutes less than the Macbook 13-inch (Penryn). Both ran the same battery test under the same operating system—Windows Vista. Because of an energy-efficient processor, the Macbook should've technically received a higher score than the Macbook (Penryn). I suspect that the smaller battery and new GPU played a hand in this. But remember, Leopard, not Windows Vista, is optimized to get you the best battery life.

You'll get much better results with the Leopard operating system, as its power management settings are better optimized for the battery. By my estimates, general-purpose tasks like surfing the Web, word processing, and light photo editing should get you close to four hours of battery life running on Leopard.

6. sfroom macrumors regular

I think that brightness has a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced effect on power consumption for LED's than it does for CFL backlights.

In other words, I don't think that screen brightness affects battery life on the new Macbooks nearly as much as it did on the old. Lucky for us, because we'll have to pump up the brightness to overcome the glare from the glass! j/k.

7. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

People reported 4.5 hours of web surfing on the last MB. I measured 5.5, it's all in your settings and how much you use the computer.

5 hours of battery isn't really unbeliavable, probobly can push it even further.

8. Roba macrumors 6502

I don't believe that either. No way will you get 5 hours with full brightness with BT on.
    LED really does not affect battery life that much. I have had laptops that used an LED screen and ones that did not and i have read of other people that use a CCFL screen now and really it does not make much difference.

MacOSX manages battery life well but not that well.
    If you do get around 4 hours with medium brightness and web surfing i do find that a little disappointing.

I would have liked Apple to have used dual grahics both a 4500HD for max battery life and 9400G chip.
    Maybe in the future they might do something like that.

Edited to add:
    I just read the updated PC Mag review and it looks like the last version of the MB gets better battery life than this new version.

9. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

I watched also! I found out today that he now has a MacRumors username! It's the same, John4Lakers. I would also expect 6-6.5 with bluetooth and airport off- AKA long plane rides

10. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

The battery life improved. I was able to use the computer for over 5 hours without the charger last night and I was still able to use it this morning for about an hour. I say... improved battery life.

11. cshale210 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

See I love my new 2.4 mb but the battery doesn't seem as good a my old mbp. Maybe 3.5 hours on full brightness browsing, word process, email, etc. No way 5+

12. Roba macrumors 6502

I think the first time that i run my battery down on the Penryn 2.4 MB that i was close to 6 hours battery life doing surfing for like 80% of the time in extended battery life mode with BT of and wifi on. I think i also had around 30-40% brightness so a little of medium brightness.

Although using LED screens might not make that much of a difference battery life wise but upping and lowering your screen brightness will. If they had said 5 hours with medium brightness that at least would have been a bit more believable for me.

The new model scored 31 minutes battery life less in that test.

13. topcash macrumors member

I feel battery life needs some new crazy technology to see any good life out of them. [​IMG]

14. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Hope you're right... I can get a good 4 hours + if I'm a miser on my Blackbook. I'm hoping the new aluminum will do better without having to dim the screen and turn everything I like to use off. I'll be doing back flips with 5 hours.

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Ok ppl, stop jumping on my throat. I was simply telling you what SOMEONE ELSE claimed. If you don't believe it, go right ahead.