new macbook display is very noticably brighter at bottom then top

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthews1492, Jun 10, 2007.

1. matthews1492 macrumors member

Last week on Thursday I bought a blackbook and returned it a day later for a very accute backlight bleed from the bottom of the display. I picked up a replacement and it brought it home only to find it exhibited the almost the same problem. Where it is brighter at bottom and gets darker at the top. The end result is I can't get a viewing angle where the screen isn't brighter at bottom or too dark at the top.

It's especially frustrating because I just upgraded my laptop from a TiBook 867 and even through it is around five years old, and has lost some brightness, the display is flawless. Has apple's display quality gone completely downhill?

So is it worth going back to the store for the second time to hastle with this? Or maybe the better question is if everyones macbook's have this flaw?

Thanks any advice would be very welcome.

2. clicq macrumors member

In my opinion, this is a pretty common problem and it's really due to the limited viewing angle -- the Macbook screen is spec'd to have only a 55 degree vertical viewing angle. I speculate that this is why, when you have the top of the screen in a good position, the bottom of the screen is not, and vice versa. I typically find the best position is when the screen is pushed pretty far back and you're sitting farther away.

Don't just take my word for it, this has been discussed previously in this thread.

3. matthews1492 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I saw that one too. I guess this is a little bit of a rehash. I agree pushing the screen farther away seems to help, as does lowering it back. Also if you are in brighter daylight it helps the problem. Plus the apple stores are so bright inside, it is a bit harder to see these problems when you being the computer in.

I just feel like I bought a brand new black sports car, but on the drivers side the color fades to grey. Still drives great, but it has this glaring cosmetic imperfection that you try to ignore while you're enjoying a sweet roadtrip.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Part of the reason is because of the position of the fluorescent back lights - they don't illuminate the screen evenly.

I wouldn't have thought it would have been that noticable though, unless there is something obstructing one of the bulbs.

5. clicq macrumors member

I definitely agree with your frustration -- it pisses me off that such a nice machine has a subpar screen. Whether it is because Apple is cutting corners, or because there's not much choice for 13.3" widescreen LCDs, I'm not sure, but it's my biggest gripe about my Macbook.

But there's not much that can be done :(

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think it is quite common in MacBooks from what I have seen. You might find it gets better after the screen is left on for a while (like half an hour) but then maybe its just our eyes adjusting to the unevenly lit screen.
    Its bad but the speakers are worse. :D

7. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I find it ok really, just got mine last Saturday and the only complaint I'd have (outside of bad wireless) is the fact that the screen loves smudges.

8. phraxos5 macrumors newbie

macbook display inconsistent brightness

I bought a macbook today and it has the same problem. the bottom of the screen is much brighter then the mid and top of the screen. You can really see it when the dock is up and when there is a dark background, or when playing a dvd note that it is most visible when on the brightest setting. Im a little upset because Ive never had problems like this with any other apples ive owned. The Screen display quality is usually one of the strongest qualities of each computer ive owned. Im not sure what to do because I think all macbooks have this problem. At the moment I am leaning towards brushing it under the carpet and ignoring it. However I spoke with a sales rep in atlanta today and discreetly explained that I was undecided on which to buy...the mac book or the macbook pro, and that i noticed when viewing a mac book in a shop that it seemed to have a very light bottom of the display. She was sure that she had never had this problem with any of the macbooks that had come through her shop. This made me think that i should return it and try another one. I will go compare at different shops tomorrow.
    let me know what you all think

9. weizilla macrumors regular

i just brought the new 2.4 blackbook and i noticed this problem. it's really noticeable in front row. should i bring it into the apple store for an exchange?