New macbook doesn't detect iPhone. help?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thenotlim, Dec 10, 2008.

1. thenotlim macrumors newbie

I just got a new macbook as an early Christmas present, unfortunately when i connected the phone, itunes doesn't detect the iphone at all, but it does charge. I downgraded and installed itunes 7.5 but that didn't help at all.

I read somewhere to try holding down the power button and home button and connecting it, putting it in recovery mode. When I tried that itunes suddenly detects the iphone but asks me to restore the phone. I'm assuming this means that the phone will restore factory settings and wipe everything. My phone is jailbroken and unlocked so that's not really an option.

Does anyone have an ideas about what I can do? It sucks that I have to get out the old macbook pro every night to sync up with itunes to get all the podcasts I listen to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Hello

Not sure exactly what your problem is however I do know if your iphone/i pod touch is jail broken or has been jail broke any time in its life span. The new Mac Books will not detect them at all. If thats not your problem than go to your nearest apple store, that is why you got a mac right? for not only a awsome product but awesome customer service.

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

That's not true.

4. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

6. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

so true

"Particularly, Apple is most likely using a custom-built version of iTunes in the newest MacBook line which prevents users from syncing the media player to jailbroken iPhones." I wonder if his iphone is jail broken because he hasnt responsed or either of our post?

7. thenotlim thread starter macrumors newbie

But i uninstalled the latest itunes and installed 7.5, which was the version my old MBP had running when there were no issues syncing with the iphone...

It seems as though my last option would be to just let it "restore" and wipe my phone and then jailbreak it and unlock it all over again and put all my contacts back in :T Is this really the only way though?

8. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

OK however

Did you Jailbreak the iphone? if so thats your dilemma. You have to understand the nature of the beast in this case Apple. You have to imagine thye were looking for ways to prevent jail breaking of the iphone and what better platform than with the new macbooks.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'll keep this in mind the next time I sync my jailbroken iPhone 3G to my unibody macbook. I don't know why you are arguing with me based on what an article says. I am telling you, being an owner of both, that my jailbroken iPhone is recognized on my new macbook. No if's, and's or but's about it. :confused:

OP, if your phone is just jailbroken then restore it to the newest version of the iPhone software and update iTunes to the newest version. Then use pwnage on a different computer (or on your windows partition) to rejailbreak. If your phone is in fact unlocked, as you state in your first post, then do some research on what it would take to restore and re-unlock. I myself am not familiar with unlocking.

Also, the fact that you downgraded iTunes on a unibody might be part of the problem.

10. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Oh im not arguing with you beautiful

Im not attempting to argue with you, i was actually addressing the TC regarding his issues with his New Macbook. Now if you have a macbook thats working with a Jail Broken Iphone than more power to you beautiful.

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Beautiful? Am I supposed to be flattered? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. I'm not usually one to get bother by seemingly sexist remarks, but just an FYI, my looks have nothing to do with my knowledge of the iPhone and what jailbreaking and unlocking means.

OP, if you are still around (and I don't blame you if you aren't) do you have another computer you can access? Also, can you tell me what phone you are using (first gen or 2nd gen, I am assuming first gen)? What version of the firmware are you on right now?

12. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5

My fiancé has a new unibody MacBook and a jailbroken iPhone 3g it syncs just fine

13. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

A friend of mine has the new MacBook Pro and it works/syncs just fine with his iPhone 3G 2.2 Jailbroken.
    Did you try to restore your iPhone? You can restore it from a backup so that you won't loose you data.

14. thenotlim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thinking of restoring

I have a 1st gen iphone. I think I'll just connect the phone to this new unibody macbook, let it "restore" ie wipe the whole thing, and then use the pwnage tool to jailbreak and unlock it?

That would basically allow me to start from zero I'm assuming? Meaning I would have to jailbreak and unlock it from factory settings. I'm fine with losing my apps (Used to play with a lot of them right when I got the phone, but never touch them anymore), but is there an easy way to move the backup from my old macbook pro to this new unibody macbook?

Thanks for all the helpful responses so far.

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I don't know where to find the backups of iTunes, but if you are going to be restoring and re-unlocking you probably don't want to use a backup.

I would be very cautious about restoring an unlocked phone. You might want to post a specific question in the hacks forum asking about it. I don't know myself what could or couldn't go wrong.

16. thenotlim thread starter macrumors newbie

miracle

I don't know why or how, but I do believe I've experienced some sort of miracle.

I upgraded back to the newest iTunes, bit the bullet, connected the phone in recovery mode, and clicked restore; fully believing it would wipe the phone and restore factory settings. It started to download some sort of update for the phone in itunes, which I thought would lock the phone back up, so I started looking for the pwnage tool. To my surprise, when the download finished, it detected the name of the phone and I was free to sync all my contacts and everything with this new macbook... as if nothing were different.

Since this was a pleasant and welcome surprise I won't ask too many questions. All I have to do now is resubscribe to all my podcasts and download them now. But thanks so much for all those that responded and especially abiyng87 for helping and in the process fighting a little sexism.

17. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Great to hear!

Were you already running one of the 2.X firmwares before you had issues? If that is the case then that is why you were able to do that.

See, what happens when you restore the iPhone is that almost every piece of software is replaced with the new package. However, with the first generation iphone, each successive release of the firmware since 2.0 hasn't touched the base band, which is the piece that allows the phone to be unlocked. So, in practice this means that if a phone is unlocked on firmware 2.0 or 2.1 and is then upgraded to 2.2 the unlocked base band remains in place.

Anyways, that's probably more than anyone cares to hear, especially since your phone is already working. :p