New Macbook eBay Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nremondelli, Oct 29, 2008.

1. nremondelli macrumors member

Some people are selling new, unopened Aluminum Macbooks for 1399.00 (Base Model). The catch here is the 200$ Live.com rebate +free shipping/no tax. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger, but am worried about getting it with a dead/stuck pixel. Everything else AppleCare will take care of, right? At least if I bought from Apple I could take it back if there were a pixel problem. Any advice?

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Personally, I'd always buy from an authorised Apple store rather than from eBay. But that's just [a strong] personal preference. I like the idea of having a legal comeback should anything go wrong and I also like the total absence of fraud when one buys from an authorised retailer. Others have had good experiences with eBay, but I, personally, would never buy something as expensive as a computer on eBay. If you do go the eBay route, just be very careful.
    Cheers and good luck

3. nremondelli thread starter macrumors member

Well the deal seems to hard to pass up; I did it.

We'll see what happens. However, even if I bought it off eBay, Apple still handles all of the issues correct? I mean, the warranty is tied to the machine and not the user...so if there were an issue I can still take it to Apple, correct? Just looking for a little peace of mind...

4. eman macrumors 6502a

yes, the Apple warranty is tied to the machine (serial number) and Apple will repair your machine. When buying on ebay, use your credit card to purchase your items and you will be protected thru your CC; never use your paypal money or personal money when making ebay purchases.
    Just my 2 cents.