Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2008
anyone seen an issue like this with their new macbook keyboards with any keys? any hope of a quick fix or a sad trip to the genius bar for me...?

rawars

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2015
I had not noticed this before your post. But I checked and the return key is more recessed than the other keys. Next time I am in the Apple store I will check to see if this is common.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
My MacBook got replaced 6 times and even the 7th one has keyboard issues. Now got a discount so I'm going to let the Genius Bar replace the topcase now. This whole MacBook is crazy, I hope they improve the keyboard on the next revision.

Eichen

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
NW Ohio
Had to get a replacement on my first rMB due to sticking keys. Have had minimal trouble on the replacement. I hope this isn't a trend.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
My MacBook got replaced 6 times and even the 7th one has keyboard issues. Now got a discount so I'm going to let the Genius Bar replace the topcase now. This whole MacBook is crazy, I hope they improve the keyboard on the next revision.
Six times? People in your area should thank you for getting all the defective ones out of the way.

imac275

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
I am having to return mine for a similar reason. I hate getting into this return-cycle thing for 'minor' issues and I was hoping to be able to live with it.

The 'F' key on my MacBook has got a completely different feel to all of the others. It feels loose and has a hollow metallic click to it rather than the soft, quiet action of all of the others. Anyone else had similar?

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I have had similar issues; I bought a space grey model today, and when I got home, immediately when typing in my password I noticed the "1" key just didn't feel quite right. The new keys are supposed to 'click' and register no matter where you press them, and this happened for every key other than the "1" key consistently on mine. The 1 didn't have the same feel or accuracy as any of the other keys.

I went back to the store and swapped it out for a different Macbook, and while this one is much better, the "Delete" key is now the one I notice that doesn't feel quite the same as the other keys. However, since there is no problem with the key registering no matter where you press it, I suppose I'll be able to live with it.

Pretty surprising that myself and others are having these issues; Apple is known for superior quality control but I suppose this is sort of a hard issue to diagnose/notice in the factory. Does anyone have any experience getting an individual key swapped out at the Genius bar for these new Retina 12'' MacBooks? It would give me peace of mind knowing if the delete key or some other key falters in the future that I'd be able to get it replaced without it creating a bigger issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.