New MacBook extremely slow on Netgear g router

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by swindmill, Oct 28, 2008.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I have mini with a wireless g card and a my MB with it's wireless n card on my network at home. My router is a fairly old Netgear wireless g router. My MB is extremely slow at times on my home network. I've never heard of backwards compatibility issues with wireless n cards, but I'm at a loss to explain this. It sometimes takes close to a minute to completely load a page on my MB. Any ideas?

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

hmm.....might be a DNS issue, dont know. try to set your DNS on the mb to those ones from dydns.org and see if it improves anything.

3. ptsube macrumors 6502

Try resetting both your modem and your router. Unplug both AC adapters from the wall and the modem and the router from the adapters. Wait at least 30 seconds and plug everything back in.

4. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

No luck with this.

I'm not familiar with DNS issues. I'll look into that. Any other ideas? This is really frustrating. :confused:

5. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

buy another cheap router, netgear sucks anyways.

6. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I plan on getting a wireless n router eventually, but it doesn't make since that my MB would be this slow on my network. I'm just trying to figure out why it is so slow.

7. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

I have netgear too and it sucks randomly. For instance, now it is working very well, but late at night it will start to crawl along. :(

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

9. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

I've had a Netcomm (Australian company) wireless router for about a year now and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I had a Netgear before this one and it was the worst router I've ever used.

10. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Any thoughts on possible software issues I might be having after restoring my Mini drive to my MB from a Time Machine backup? In other words, maybe the issue is software related. I've tried resetting Safari, with the exception of saved passwords. I've also deleted Saft. No luck so far. Any other ideas?

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Not sure what you mean. You restored your mini to your MB? As in your MB now has all the files/prefs/apps from your Mini?

I had a Netgear router for a while. It never liked my Macs and vice/versa. Do yourself a favor, get an Airport ASAP. I did and have never looked back. IF time is money, you are wasting both by not getting an Airport.

12. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I used Migration Assistant to transfer the contents of Mini's drive from the Time Machine backup, so it is an exact clone. I was asking if that could have caused a software related slowdown on the MB. However, now that I think about it, it's not just Safari but also iTunes Store and Dashboard that are miserably slow.

My next purchase will be either Time Capsule or and AEBS. I have an Airport Express g that I might try temporarily as a router to see if it solves the issue.

13. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

It is apparently the Netgear router. I replaced it with my AE and it's much faster. I can't figure out port forwarding on the AE, however.

14. panzaman macrumors member

I was having problems with my netgear router and the MBA as well, I had my wifi channel set to 6, I changed it to 12 and it now works fine.

15. tongteh macrumors 6502

i think i am in the same problem as well!! i will try changing it from 6 to 12 soon to see if it works for me.. thanks for the tip!! :)

16. ptsube macrumors 6502

You could try going in to Sys pref>networks>airport>advanced. Remove all preferred networks. Then go back to the airport main screen. Turn off your airport and then reboot. While rebooting, reset your modem and router again. Make sure you unplug the power bricks from the wall outlet and the router and modem from the power cord. Leave for at least 30 seconds. Now plug everything back in. When OS X comes back up, go back to the airport properties and turn the airport back on. Also, add your network back to the preferred networks list in the advanced options menu.

If that doesn't help. Repeat all the steps, except when you have your modem and router unplugged, completly reset both by holding down the reset button on the backs of each unit, for at least 30 seconds. Then continue on. You will need to setup your router again by loging in to it at 192.168.1.1 and configuring your security settings. Netgear admin signin is usually, name: admin, password: password.

If that doesn't work you can try upgrading the firmware on your router.

17. nmudie macrumors newbie

IT'S THE DNS CAUSING YOUR ISSUE -- i had the same

go to sys prefs/network/advanced... and remove the DNS entry provided by your ISP (seems silly i know but it worked for me).... maybe it's a rogue DNS entry or something.

I tried everything else like changing channels etc.... but it's really just a dns issue.

enjoy ;-)))

18. egk69 macrumors 6502

i notice that my MB is a little slow , specially on youtube (i mean you notice it more on youtube), i never notice this before, till i start using my MB , my router is a POS speedtouch that my DSL provider gave me, it is router and modem....