New Macbook Fans

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AlisaGirlX, Oct 25, 2008.

1. AlisaGirlX macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I've always been a PC user, and I'm new to Macs. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the new macbook fans. If so, when does it fan, how often does it fan, and how loud is it? Also, did the old macbooks fan? Any help you guys could give me would be much appreciated! :D

Alisa

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The fan idles at 2000 RPM now. I should spin up a little more around 140-150° F.

3. AlisaGirlX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your prompt reply! Is that audible? I'm not too sure what the RPM's mean. Care to enlighten me? :)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It should barely be audible.

RPM = revolutions per minute

5. AlisaGirlX thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I see! Is the fan fairly inaudible for most tasks like surfing the internet and/or using the word processor? With what tasks will the fan really kick in?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Flash, encoding video, or certain instnaces of h.264 video playback.

7. wheelhot macrumors 68020

MacBooks has a very low RPM fans, that is why you can barely hear noise even at heavy usage (video encoding and etc.) only then you will hear the fan noise, other then that, you will barely hear it. That's why Mac rocks in class cause it won't disturb the learning environment unlike other notebooks which sometime produce real loud noises even at low usage :cool:

check this out anyway, a really GOOD guide
    NotebookCheck - MB

Enjoy :cool:

8. kenned macrumors member

I can only hear the fan of my MB 2.0 if i'm playing a game under windows, or if there is really, really quiet.

My fan idles at 2000 RPM untill the CPU is around 70C+

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I have the last revision white 2.4 MB and find the fans run around 1800-2000
    most of the time. Don't hear them until they kick up past 3000 every so
    often.

10. AlisaGirlX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your replies! Keep them coming! I could always use more opinions. ;)

For those that replied, any of you speaking about the new aluminum macbook?

Also, how do you check the fan speed and CPU, etc? As you can probably tell, I'm new to macs in general!

11. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

There are a few applications that let you observe the system. I recommend iStat Menus (google it) if you want to see what's going on as it gives you easily viewable readings in the menu bar. Apple uses special fans with many more blades than most fans used in PCs so that they can get a high airflow without running the fans as quickly. Fans idle at 2000 rpm, speeding up in increments the hotter the computer gets, eventually maxing out somewhere around 8000 rpm. Apple's notebooks are known for the silence (though they can get a little loud at times), so you should be pleased with the level of noise the fans make.

12. AlisaGirlX thread starter macrumors newbie

That website is awesome! Thanks for your help! :)

13. AlisaGirlX thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you speaking of the new aluminum macbook by any chance?

14. wheelhot macrumors 68020

No prob, that website shows the new MB and MBP review btw :D

15. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I would assume so. The fans on my Late 2007 White Macbook idle at 1800 RPM, and even when the fans kick up to 6000, they're no more audible than my desktop PC is when not doing anything (though you can certainly hear them when they kick up). It's in general a really quiet machine.

16. AlisaGirlX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies! More experiences/opinions are welcome! It'll help me out a lot. :D