New Macbook! few issues, though.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeremy6044, Nov 29, 2007.

1. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

so i just got my first macbook. it's really great! almost everything is perfect...it's fast, the operating system is really smooth, the screen is great. really, i am more impressed than i expected to be.

i just have two issues that maybe someone can shed some light on...

1. once the keyboard stopped working and i had to restart to get it to work again. i've read that this is a problem. should i be worried and expect it to happen again, or just not worry until it becomes a problem? so far it only happened that one time when i was first configuring and transfering data.

2. when i put the macbook to sleep overnight, it wakes up with much less battery life. say, about an hour less on the menu bar reading. is that normal? seems like a lot to lose from sleep. i mean, it goes to sleep right away, according to the pulsing indicator light. and it wakes right when i open the screen. but the battery is definitely lower after a night of "sleep." if that's how it is normally, i'm just going to shut down every night. but i don't get the impression that this is normal. any ideas?

2. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

btw, where do find the battery health to see how many cycles and all that?

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can find that information in System Profiler or using coconutBattery.

The keyboard issue has been reported.

A laptop that is asleep is still using power.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Give it a few days, but be ready to run back to the apple store for a replacement.

While the hard drive isn't running, the processor is still active during sleep, so yes, the battery is going to go down after sleeping for the night (8 hours or so is a long time after all)

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

processor is not active during sleep, but there has to be voltage on memory chips to keep the content alive. another implementation would be to write memory to disk and read back, but it takes too much time.

6. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

okay, so the sleep battery situation is normal. thanks.

regarding the battery health...what should i look at in profiler: the "full charge capacity"? the "battery health"? what is good? what is not good for those measures?

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

But doesn't the processor control power supply? So while it isn't working like it normally would (at full capacity or something like that) it is still doing some stuff.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Full Charge Capacity shows you the remain number of mAh the battery is still able to store.

I'm not sure how detailed the query of Battery Health is.

9. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

search for the thread/guide on how to maintain and calibrate your MB battery

10. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Get the istat pro widget (from Apple downloads) It will tell you your battery health, charge and how many cycles it's done (meaning how many times it's charged & discharged)